Flush that fat away with this Vegetable Soup for Weight Loss recipe! As you would expect in a vegetable soup recipe, this is completely rich with fresh veggies and flavor. This Vegetable Soup for Weight Loss is actually comforting and tastes great!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup Recipe by Holly
Naturally low in fat and calories, it’s the perfect lunch, snack, or starter! While we eat it as a starter or lunch, to make this more of a main dish, we often add our favorite proteins.
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup Recipe
Vegetable soup is delicious, healthy, and filling! It’s easy to make and perfect for lunch or afternoon snack. It’s bright, colorful, and loaded with all kinds of vegetables (and you can easily sub in whatever veggies you like).
What to Put in Veggie Soup
Broth, we recommend beef broth in this soup for flavor, you can use homemade stock or broth or vegetable broth if you prefer. Canned tomatoes (with juice) add great flavor to this recipe too.
Vegetables, we love the addition of all kinds of veggies and anything goes in this recipe.
Cabbage in this soup adds bulk and fills your belly. If you’re not a fan of cabbage, you can most certainly substitute kale or spinach. Keep in mind that kale will add more bulk and spinach will shrink down quite a bit.
- Low Carb Veggies Cabbage, beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, celery
- Starchy Veggies Carrots, potatoes and sweet potatoes (may need longer to cook), corn
How to Make Vegetable Soup
- Prep. Wash, and chop all of your veggies. Sort your veggies by cook time, things that take longer go in first (like cabbage and carrots) while things that are quicker can go later (like broccoli and zucchini).
- Flavor. We add a touch of water (or oil if you like) and sautee onion and garlic first for flavor. Add spices or herbs to your liking.
- Simmer. Bring broth to a simmer adding in veggies and allow to cook until tender.
- saute onions and add all ingredients to the slow cooker
- cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours or until veggies are tender
- cook onions using the saute function
- add all ingredients to the Instant Pot ensuring you don’t go past the max line
- cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, naturally release 5 minutes. cook longer if you prefer softer veggies
Vegetable Soup for Weight Loss
- 1 piece small onion sliced diced
- 2 pieces cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup carrots, Diced
- 4 cups Cabbage Chopped 1/4 head of cabbage
- 1 cup green beans 1″ pieces
- 2 chopped Whole Bell Peppers Chopped
- 1 can 28 oz low sodium diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 leafs bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme & basil each of them
- 1 teaspoon Pepper as your taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- In a large pot cook onion & garlic over medium heat until slightly softened.
- Add carrots, cabbage & green beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, and seasonings. Simmer 6-7 minutes.
- Add in zucchini & broccoli. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.