This delicious vegan pot pie with vegetables is rich, creamy, and easy to make recipes. It is loaded with fresh veggies and flavorful herbs cooked in a creamy lemon mustard sauce and topped with a flakey puff pastry crust.
VEGAN POT PIE WITH SPRING VEGETABLES Recipe by Sylvia
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Vegetables: Fennel bulb, leek (or onion), garlic, potatoes, carrots, asparagus, peas.
- Herbs: Tarragon, lemon thyme, chives.
- Almond milk or Cashew Milk
- Lemon juice
- Vegetable bullion
- Whole grain mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Vegan butter or olive oil.
Instructions For Vegan Pot Pie With vegetables:
- Chop up your veggies and measure all ingredients out.
- Blanch potatoes and carrots in salted water for about 10 minutes or until just fork-tender. Save 1/2 cup of the water as you drain potatoes and carrots.
- Dissolve bullion in the saved potato carrot water.
- Saute leeks, garlic, fennel, and asparagus.
- Add blanched veggies to the sauté and mix. Push to the sides and melt butter in the center, add flour, and mix as best as you can. Add bullion broth and milk, stirring all the while, switching from the whisk to stirring with a spoon.
- Add mustard and let the sauce come to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat.
- Add in peas, lemon juice, lemon thyme, tarragon, and chives.
- If needed, roll your puff pastry out to 1/8″ thick. Cut into the shape of your pan and lay over the cooled filling.
EXPERT TIPS FOR THE ULTIMATE FLAKEY PASTRY TOP:
- Preheat the oven and keep it at the temperature for 15-20 minutes before you place the pot pie in the oven. Puff pastry needs even heat to rising and puff.
- Let the filling cool before topping with the crust. If it is too hot it can start melting the layers before the crust has a chance to heat up and rise.
- If you are working in a warm kitchen, chill the whole pot pie with the pastry lid on, for 10 minutes before baking.
Other recipes you might like to try: Burrito Bowl One Pot Recipe, Keto Vegetable Frittata, Low Carb Keto Meat Pie Recipe
Vegan Pot Pie With Vegetables
- 1 pound Yukon gold or red potatoes, cut in bite sized chunks
- 2 cups carrots, cut in half moons
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 onion or leek, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped small
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 cup asparagus, cut in 1/2″ pieces
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp bouillon, vegetable or “chicken-like”
- 1/2 cup saved water (from the potato/carrot blanching)
- 2 cups cashew or almond milk
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard (or dijon)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup peas
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon thyme (or regular), chopped small
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon (or rosemary), roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 package vegan puff pastry dough
- Thaw puff pastry dough overnight in the fridge. (Or see notes)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Blanch potatoes and carrots by covering with lightly salted water, and simmering for about 10 minutes or until just fork-tender. Save 1/2 cup of the water as you drain potatoes and carrots. Dissolve boullion in the 1/2 cup of saved potato carrot water. Set aside.
- Add blanched veggies to the saute and mix. Push to the sides and melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the center of the pan, add flour whisking into the butter. It’ll be lumpy but that will all smooth out.
- If needed, roll your puff pastry out to 1/8″ thick. Cut into the shape of your pan and lay over the cooled filling. Score the pastry with a sharp knife cutting halfway into the dough, and leaving a vent whole in the center. Do any design you like! This lightens crust, allowing it to lift more and bake evenly. Brush with oilve oil or if not vegan, use an egg wash.
- Place in the middle of the oven, turn down to 400F and bake for 20 minutes, then lower heat to 350F, and bake 10-15 more minutes, crust should be puffy and golden.