TEN EASY WAYS TO EAT MORE FRUITS & VEGETABLES
Fruits and vegetables are essential for your health. They contain nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and fiber that keeps your body moving and fighting against diseases. Yet, the majority of Americans are not consuming the amount they need. If you’re having trouble eating all the fruits and vegetables in your daily diet, try these 10 easy tips:
- Add spinach and lots of other vegetables into an egg scramble or omelet.
- Sprinkle fresh or dried fruit onto your cereal, oatmeal, yogurt or cottage cheese. If you use dried fruit, make sure there is no added sugar and that you pay attention to the portion sizes.
- Incorporate shredded, grated or pureed vegetables into stews, casseroles or pasta.
- Keep them visible! If there is a fruit bowl on the kitchen counter, you’re much more likely grab that instead of diving into a bag of chips hidden in the pantry.
- Get your fruit saucy! Puree apples, berries, peaches or pairs for a thick sweet sauce. Top it on cooked poultry and fish or on pancakes, waffles and French toast.
- Use frozen veggie mixes in stir fries for a quick, easy meal.
- Dip carrots, celery, broccoli and other raw vegetables in hummus or your favorite low fat dressing.
- Blend in fruit and fresh greens to give your favorite smoothie or protein shake to add a nutritional boost!
- You can never go wrong with peanut butter and banana (or apple) for a snack.
- Grill colorful kabobs using fruit and vegetables. Pack on pineapple, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions or anything else you desire!