This Protein Banana Bread is a healthy twist on the classic loaf-including whole grains, impressive protein, and no added sugar! Naturally sweetened from dates and overripe bananas.
HIGH PROTEIN BANANA BREAD Recipe by Mackenzie
Banana bread is a classic treat we grew up eating often whenever we had a few browned bananas left. So, decided to develop this banana bread recipe to create a healthier, protein-packed twist on the classic loaf.
What can you make with overripe bananas?
Never throw away your overripe bananas, people! Instead, peel and freeze them to use later in smoothies, blend them to make “nice cream”, mash them up with oats and bake them into two-ingredient cookies, or better yet–use them for this delicious banana bread recipe.
In fact, since bananas get sweeter as they ripen, would advise waiting until your bananas are slightly browned for this recipe because it will allow for a naturally sweeter bread.
This healthy banana bread is packed with protein:
Just 1/4 cup of collagen added into this banana bread recipe provides substantial protein–almost 30 grams! Alternatively, you can try using a neutral protein powder in place of the collagen peptides–just be cautious of sneaky added sugar and fillers often hidden in these products.
The white whole wheat flour and any chopped nuts added provide additional protein as well.
Another great thing about this recipe is there is no added sugar. The sweet taste comes from the natural sugars in the bananas and dates, as opposed to added sugar forms such as granulated sugar, honey, or maple syrup often found in banana bread recipes.
Customize it your way:
This recipe calls for add-ins of your choice. Try adding dark chocolate chips, chopped nuts, seeds, or dried cranberries. The favorite is mixing in chopped walnuts and then sprinkling dark chocolate chips over top! Best of both worlds. Let us know what your favorite add-ins are!
Can you make this recipe ahead of time?
If you want to make these loaves ahead of time or have leftovers, you can wrap them up in a plastic wrap and slip them in a large freezer bag to store for up to 4 months.
So what are you waiting for? Treat yourself with this flavorful, super moist, protein-packed collagen banana bread. Enjoy with sliced bananas, warmed up with butter, or simply as is.
Protein Banana Bread
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup collagen peptides
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed, a little over 1 cup mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or add-ins of your choice, (walnuts, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate chips, dried cranberries, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, collagen, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Blend bananas, eggs, dates, coconut oil, and vanilla in a food processor until smooth. Transfer this liquid mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- In the large mixing bowl, stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in nuts or add-ins.
- Grease or line one standard 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan OR two mini 5.75" x 3” loaf pans with parchment paper.**
- Pour dough into pan. The pan should be about 3/4 way full with batter. Bake 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan for 40-50 minutes OR mini 5.75" x 3” loaf pans for 30-40 minutes, or until browned and baked through.
- Let cool slightly then remove from the pan. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze loaves for up to 4 months.