Do you live a keto lifestyle and have carving to eat potatoes? Let us reveal an amazing potato cauliflower salad recipe with you. This salad required very simple ingredients and minimal preparation. It is so delicious that your family and friends won’t even notice the swap out.
Cauliflower Potato Salad Recipe by The Bigs Man World
People often assume that keto salads are boring and are nothing but lettuce. That is far from the truth, and to be quite honest, they are far superior to most salads we’ve ever come across.
Let’s regularly make salads as part of your weekly meal prep and can vouch that they are delicious, satisfying, and so good, even our non-keto friends love them.
It’s our all-time favorite keto salad, however, is a keto potato salad. It uses rutabagas to replicate potatoes, and everyone we have served this to can’t tell the difference. Other keto variations of the potato salad use cauliflower, and it’s been something we’ve been meaning to try.
As someone who thought cauliflower was only good in keto recipes that called for fried rice, it pleasantly surprised at how delicious it was. It came together quickly and is so darn versatile. No wonder it’s often referred to as a cauliflower mock potato salad!
This cauliflower potato salad recipe is one you can make for parties, barbecues, or a filling side dish for your evening meal. It’s made with a mix of roasted cauliflower, eggs, and pickles, covered in a creamy and flavorful dressing. It’s thick, creamy, crunchy, and filling, and doesn’t really taste too much like the cruciferous vegetable.
Pair it with some grilled chicken or salmon for a satisfying and filling dinner. It’s the veggie-packed dish that kids will love and be begging for seconds!
What you’ll need to make potato cauliflower salad recipe?
For the salad.
- Cauliflower– medium sized cauliflower, chopped into bite sized florets.
- Salt, pepper, and olive oil– to season the cauliflower with before roasting.
- Red onion– adds a flavorful and peppery kick to the salad, without being overpowering.
- Celery– adds some delicious crunch.
- Boiled eggs– adds texture, protein, and extra creaminess.
- Dill pickles– secret ingredient that gives the salad some salty notes and added crunch.
For the dressing.
- Mayonnaise– skip the expensive store bought brands and make your own keto mayonnaise.
- Dijon mustard– balances out the richness and creaminess of the mayonnaise, and some fabulous sharpness.
- Pickle juice– the briny water that holds the pickles in, this another salty element that adds extra flavor.
- Dill– a must for any excellent salad.
How do you make a keto cauliflower potato salad?
Start by seasoning the cauliflower with salt, pepper, and olive oil and roasting it for 20-25 minutes, until tender and golden. While it is cooling, prepare the dressing. Whisk everything together until smooth.
Now, add the cooled cauliflower into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients and mix well. Add the dressing and gently mix until fully incorporated. Sprinkle with dill and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Chop your cauliflower into equal sized florets/pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Do not use steamed or boiled cauliflower, or else your salad will lack flavor and be soft.
- For a hint of sweetness, swap out the Dijon mustard for keto honey mustard.
- If you’d like this to be a simple cauliflower salad, switch out the creamy dressing and instead, make a simple keto salad dressing.
Storing, freezing and make-ahead instructions
- To store: leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place the salad in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Make ahead: Prepare the salad and the dressing separately up to 2 days in advance. When ready to serve, add the dressing over the salad.
What to serve cauliflower potato salad with?
- Fried chicken
- Crack chicken
- Chicken parmesan
Other recipes you might like to try: Low Carb Keto Meat Pie Recipe, Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe, Eggplant Pizza Low Carb Recipe
Potato Cauliflower Salad
For the salad
- 1 medium cauliflower chopped into bite sized florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large red onion finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 3 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 2 large dill pickles finely chopped
For the dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons dill finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Add your chopped cauliflower, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake the cauliflower for 20-25 minutes, until lightly brown and tender. Remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Once the cauliflower has cooled, add it to a bowl with the chopped onion, celery, pickles, and boiled eggs. Mix through the dressing. Sprinkle with the chopped dill and serve immediately.