This easy-to-make Paleo Chicken Cacciatore is excellent for midweek dinners! It follows the paleo, Whole30, and low-carb diets. For a substantial, full, and tasty meal, serve over your favorite vegetarian noodles. Chicken dinners in a single skillet are all the rage these days!
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore (Paleo, Whole30, Keto) Recipe by Jean Choi
What To Serve with Paleo Chicken Cacciatore
Your best bets for serving are zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, sautéed greens or roasted veggies. These keep the dish relatively low carb and also Whole30.
You can also serve it over roasted spaghetti squash, roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes or get fancy and make sweet potato or butternut squash noodles! They even sell these veggie “noodles” already prepared in some stores, so go ahead and take advantage of that for a fun and easy side dish.
Can I Use Boneless Chicken for Chicken Cacciatore?
If you want to use boneless chicken, thighs would be my first preference, then breasts. You won’t need to simmer the chicken as long since it will cook through more quickly, so you’ll have to watch it. Chicken is done when a meat thermometer reads 165° F, so keep this in mind if you decide to use boneless chicken.
You can also thicken the sauce with a bit more tomato paste if you won’t be simmering it for as long.
Paleo Chicken Cacciatore
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ cup bone broth or chicken broth
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves chopped
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives optional
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 6-qt Instant Pot to Sauté and add 2 tbsp of avocado oil.
- Once it indicates that that pot is “hot” add the chicken thighs and brown on both sides for 3 minutes each. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the Instant Pot and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in bone broth. Use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pot and scrap up the browned bits on the bottom.
- Select the “Cancel” function and add the rest of the ingredients, except chicken and olives, and stir together.
- Place the chicken thighs in the sauce.
- Secure the lid, make sure the pressure valve is set to “Sealing.”
- Cook on Manual for 10 minutes, and let it naturally release pressure for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in kalamata olives, if using, and taste to adjust season.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, rice, gluten free pasta, zoodles, spaghetti squash, or enjoy alone!