If you’re fond of eating Mediterranean goods, then this Mediterranean Vegetable Cake is definitely for you! Aside from being healthy, this Mediterranean Vegetable Cake is a perfect paleo appetizer recipe that guaranteed to be tasty. This dish will surely treat your taste buds with a burst of flavor and nutrients from Mediterranean cuisine!
Crispy Mediterranean Vegetable Cakes Recipe by SkinnyMs.
Even if you’re not a vegan or vegetarian but still really enjoy this recipe. It is similar to the one you can find on a vegetarian website, however, there are additions to this. Which made it even more amazing! These are an awesome side dish or main dish! They can be served with Parmesan cheese, red or green hot sauce, or olive tapenade, but these are also great by themselves! These crispy, satisfying veggie cakes will have you dreaming of the Mediterranean and loading up on nutrients!
Love the flavors of Mediterranean Vegetable Cake?
These vegetable cakes are brimming with healthy ingredients that are flavorful and filling. Made with whole wheat flour and sautéed in olive oil, this crispy vegetable cake dish makes a hearty and healthy meal. Paleo peeps searching for the perfect appetizer idea will find exactly that in this Mediterranean Vegetable Cakes recipe. Their light ingredients will pair well with any main dish allowing for your guests to thoroughly enjoy the menu you’re planning without feeling too full.
This Paleo appetizer recipe works well as a brunch menu addition, as well. If you have an egg allergy, use finely minced shrimp as a substitution for the egg. This dish is full of flavor, a multitude of veggies are combined into savory cakes and sautéd in olive oil for a healthy side or light vegetarian entrée.
Mediterranean Vegetable Cake
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cup baby spinach
- 1 potato medium, grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives chopped
- ¼ cup artichoke hearts chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- ¼ cup yellow bell pepper
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- sea salt to taste
- to taste freshly ground, to taste
- Heat half the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the garlic, and cook for one additional minute. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Turn off heat and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the potato, oregano, tomatoes, olives, artichokes, and peppers to the medium mixing bowl and stir. Add the eggs and flour, and season with salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into patties. Or, if making as an entrée, form into two large cakes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet and cook the cakes until crispy and browned on both sides. Slice cakes into individual servings and serve hot.
- If desired, top with an olive tapenade or chopped fresh herbs.