Got lots of garden zucchini to use up? This is where oodles of zoodles comes to action! Spaghetti doesn’t have to be a guilty pleasure anymore. Meatballs and Zucchini Spaghetti is a keto friendly and gluten free pasta recipe, perfect for a date night. Meatballs and Zucchini Spaghetti is from homemade or marinara sauce in a jar and spiralized zoodles. This recipe is quick and easy to make, best for a busy weeknight.
Zucchini Noodles with Meatballs and Tomato Sauce Recipe by Kelly
Spiralized zucchini noodles are a popular favorite if you are looking for a healthy grain free / paleo / low carb / whole 30 noodle option.
This recipe is a healthier low carb / keto-friendly twist on the classic comfort dish Spaghetti with Meatballs. It comes together using easy to find pantry ingredients and is simple to customize. It works great if you want a special date-night with an entire homemade meal route. Or, you can also add in some store-bought shortcuts for busy weeknights when you want a quick 30 minute dinner.
ARE MEATBALLS FREEZER FRIENDLY?
Absolutely. You can make a batch on meal prep Sunday (or Monday) and heat them up as needed.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MEATBALLS THAT ARE LOW CARB:
- To make the meatballs, combine the ground beef, turkey, cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, onions and garlic together. Stir in the eggs, almond flour and fresh herbs until just combined.
- Lightly oil your hands and roll round forming into 1.5″ balls.
- Fry in a large 12″ skillet for 8-10 minutes or until all sides are brown. Or alternatively – you can also place the meatballs in a large baking dish in a single layer and bake at 415 F for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
Meatballs and Zucchini Spaghetti
FOR THE MEATBALLS: (use frozen or premade if preferred):
- 3/4 lbs ground beef chuck
- 1/2 lbs Ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for frying
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 onion minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp almond flour or use gluten free bread crumbs for non low carb
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE (can also use jarred marinara sauce):
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes Italian or fire-roasted
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 5-6 medium zucchini spiralized into noodles using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler
- chopped parsley for serving
- Parmesan cheese grated, for serving
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- Combine the ground beef, turkey, cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, onion and garlic together. Stir in egg, almond flour and parsley until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Using your hands, form into round 1.5" meatballs.
TO COOK ON THE STOVE:
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a large 12" skillet on medium heat. Add the meatballs in a single layer and cook for 8-10 minutes, browning on all sides. Transfer to paper-lined plate and repeat, if necessary with remaining meatballs.
TO COOK IN THE OVEN:
- Preheat oven to 415 F. Place the meatballs on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, in a single row. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE:
- Discard oil and wipe down the same skillet. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and garlic and cook until softened and fragrant. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, broth, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and simmer gently until sauce thickens about 20 minutes. Stir in basil and adjust seasonings as needed. Add the cooked meatballs and simmer, until heated through.
TO MAKE THE ZUCCHINI NOODLES:
- Spiralize zucchini using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler into noodles. At this point, you can divide into bowls if serving raw.
- To cook zoodles, lightly oil a pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and saute for 1-2 minutes or slightly softened but still tender. Do not overcook.
- Transfer to bowls and spoon sauce and meatballs over zucchini noodles. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.