Coated in a sticky sauce of honey, garlic, chili sauce, and fresh ginger, these succulent shrimp lettuce wraps are a speedy, satisfying supper.
Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce Recipe by Natasha’s Kitchen
These shrimp lettuce wraps make for one delicious and super impressive meal. We REALLY want you to discover the peanut dipping sauce (also great on chicken wraps). You might be pouring it over all of your lettuce wraps forever.
What Are Shrimp Lettuce Wraps?
They are similar to spring rolls but wrapped in a fresh lettuce cup instead of rice paper. They usually have some kind of protein; chicken, ground pork, shrimp, etc., are loaded with fresh vegetables and served with a peanut dipping sauce. Lettuce wraps are often on restaurant menus such as PF Chang’s famous lettuce wraps.
What is Boston Lettuce?
We love the cup-like shape and dark leaves of the Boston lettuce. It is also sometimes called “bib lettuce”, or “butter lettuce.” They are sold next to regular lettuce and sometimes come in closed plastic containers labeled as “living” plants with the root attached.
Can You Substitute Lettuce?
YES! If you are not able to find it in your local grocery store, regular sandwich lettuce or even the leaves from hearts of romaine will work. ?
Peanut Sauce Recipe:
Ok don’t laugh, this peanut sauce has 2 ingredients. You combine them in a mason jar, cover, and shake until smooth. It is better than any restaurant version we have tried.
- THE DRESSING: We use “Newman’s Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger” dressing (P.S. this dressing contains wheat so if you’re gluten-free, try: Bragg’s ginger sesame).
- THE PEANUT BUTTER: You can use any brand of creamy peanut butter to make peanut dressing. If your peanut butter has been refrigerated, bring it to room temperature so it blends easier with the dressing.
How to Serve Shrimp Lettuce Wraps:
Let your family or guests assemble your lettuce wraps buffet style. We start with a lettuce leaf and add several strips of carrot and cucumber, some avocado, 2 shrimp, and a couple of generous-sized sprigs of cilantro.
DO NOT skip on the cilantro. At least give it a whirl. It totally reminds me of spring rolls and makes the entire lettuce wrap dangerously enticing. Finally, drizzle the top with the peanut dipping sauce. It will change your life.
Other recipes you might like to try: Keto Bacon Wrapped Chicken Recipe, Low Carb Chocolate Cake Recipe, Keto Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
Low Carb Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
For the Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 head of Boston lettuce
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced into strips
- ½ cucumber, sliced into strips
- ½ small bunch of cilantro
- 1 med bunch of cilantro
- ½ cup Lowfat sesame ginger dressing, (We use Newman's Own Brand*)
- 1 ½ tbsp creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- Rinse and pat dry your shrimp. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to a large hot non-stick skillet. Once oil is hot, add shrimp and sauté on med/high heat 2 min per side or just until cooked through then transfer to a plate.
- Cut your cucumber and carrot into thin matchsticks. Slice your avocado into strips, cut cilantro springs in half.
- Make your peanut dressing, combine 1/2 cup sesame ginger dressing with the 1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter in a mason jar or tupperware with tight fitting lid. Shake thoroughly until smooth.
- To assemble lettuce wraps, place the lettuce cups on a platter, add several strips of carrot and cucumber, sliced avocado, 2 shrimp and a couple of large sprigs of cilantro. Drizzle the top with the peanut dipping sauce.