When you get a taste of this Low Carb Salisbury Steak, it will surely give off that classic delight you’ll always crave. Its mushroom gravy will enhance the taste, not to mention the steak’s flavor alone. This American Midwest dish is totally keto and delicious in its own right. This Low Carb Salisbury Steak will give your meal prep ideas an upgrade!
Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy Recipe by Nora
What makes this dish great?
- It’s easy and budget friendly to make
- It’s packed with non-starchy veggies
- You can easily turn it into a crossover for your kids and husband
It’s also dairy-free (apart from the butter, but no cream or anything) but it has some oat bran in it, so it isn’t quite deep, but also not quite heavy.
Now if that’s not a great and homey way to gather your family around the table, then don’t know what is!
Quick Tips to make this dish successfully
- Use your mixer to mix the meat.
- Only brown the patties at first.
- Thicken to your taste.
Can this recipe be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked steaks in the gravy.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before packing up and freezing.
- Use a container suitable for freezing.
- Label with the name and use-by date (freeze for up to 3 months).
- Defrost in the fridge and reheat until piping hot and steaming all the way through.
Low Carb Salisbury Steak
For the steaks
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery OR use shredded and squeezed zucchini, or drained defrosted chopped spinach
- 1/2 green pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried onion powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 lbs brown button mushrooms sliced
- 3/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried onion powder
- 1 tsp Glucomannan you can also use 1 tablespoon starch instead, but it will have more carbs
- Make the steaks: Add all ingredients for the steaks to a large bowl and mix well (I use a hand mixer with the dough hook attachment). Shape 5 equal patties and set them on a plate.
- Brown the steaks: Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown steaks on either side, about 3 minutes each (don’t worry about cooking them through just yet). Remove and set aside, cover. Do NOT wipe the pan!
- Make gravy: Place the pan back over medium-high heat. Add another tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of water and cook until softened, scraping browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour beef stock and Worcestershire sauce into the pan. Add onion powder and stir well. Bring to a simmer.
- Thicken and cook: Stir the Glucomannan into a small amount of cold water, then pour it into the gravy and immediately stir well to thicken. Add the steaks back into the gravy and simmer for 10 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Baste with gravy from time to time as they cook.
- Finish: Store the remaining tablespoon of butter into the gravy (optional, but luscious) and serve with your favorite sides.