This chicken fajita salad is packed full of marinated chicken and vegetables, with your favorite toppings like cheese, avocado, and more.
Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe by Lexis Clean Kitchen
Give me all the hearty salads, because they make the best healthy dinners! However, without tortillas or rice, this Fajita Salad just may rival the real thing. It has a bold flavor, thanks to marinated and seared chicken breasts. But, when it’s combined with all the salad Fixin’s, it’s out-of-this-world.
We also love how customizable this salad is. But, you have the freedom to add in what you love to serve with your fajitas! Feel free to get creative with it! Furthermore, this is easily made Paleo, Keto, and Whole30 friendly for whatever your dietary needs are!
Chicken Fajita Salad Ingredients
- Skinless + Boneless Chicken Breasts (feel free to swap in chicken thighs, if you want)
- Bell Peppers
- Onions + Garlic
- Orange + Lime Juice
- Olive Oil
- Lettuce (we like to use a crunch blend here!)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Black Beans
Chicken: Want to omit this altogether? Go for it! You can add in more veggies if you want, and marinate those in place of the chicken. You can interchangeably use chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
Black Beans: Omit these all together to make compliant for Paleo and Whol30 diets.
Additional Options: Feel free to get creative with this salad! You can sub in extra veggies or other another protein, based on what you have on hand!
Cilantro: We know some have strong feelings about cilantro. Feel free to omit it altogether if that’s you!
Steps to Make a Chicken Fajita Salad
There are three main steps to making this fajita salad:
- Make the dressing and divide it up. Half of it is to be used as a quick marinade for the chicken. The other half is to be used for the dressing. Obviously, just make sure to never touch the raw chicken to the part that is to be used for the dressing to avoid contamination.
- Cook the chicken breasts and fajita veggies! This can be done on a grill pan, or simply on a saute pan.
- Assemble the salad
Make it for Meal Prep
This salad is great to make for meal prep, with a few modifications. While the chicken fajita mix can be eaten cold if you want, this salad is best served with warm chicken and veggies. So the best way to meal prep this salad is to have a separate container for the salad components and another for the veggies and meat, that way the meat can be heated up on its own.
Therefore, with most salads, you’ll want to keep dressing separate and add it right before serving. Just be careful about what salad components you choose. Obviously, something like sliced avocado will not keep well, so omit that if intending to make this for meal prep.
Further to that, Keeping all of this in mind, this salad will keep well for 3-5 in the refrigerator.
Low Carb Chicken Fajita Salad
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, pounded to an even thickness
- 2 bell peppers, cored and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, slice
- 4 cups lettuce of choice (we recommend a lettuce blend!)
- 2 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cooked (or rinsed canned) black beans (optional
- ½ cup picked cilantro leaves (optional)
- Whisk together orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pour half of the dressing into a small container, and set aside for serving with the salad dressing.
- Add chicken to the large bowl of dressing and set aside to marinate, for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken. Cook until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF, about 5-7 minutes per side. Remove chicken and loosely cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add peppers and onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Shut off heat, and let cool slightly.
- Slice up chicken.
- Assemble the salads: Divide lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, black beans (if using), cilantro leaves (if using) in a bowl. Divide the chicken and pepper mixture on top, then drizzle over 1-2 tablespoons of the reserved dressing. Serve immediately.