These delicious Loaded Breakfast Sweet Potatoes are vegetarian, gluten-free, and full of protein; nutrition, and flavor to kick start your day!
Loaded Breakfast Sweet Potatoes Recipe by YUMNA JAWAD
If you’re tired of eating eggs on toast, you can try eggs on sweet potato toasts or just have eggs inside a baked sweet potato. The combination of eggs and sweet potatoes is just so good, regardless of how you prepare them! All you have to do is bake the sweet potatoes for about 45 minutes in the oven…that’s the part that takes some slight pre-planning so you’re not done cooking the eggs and staring at the oven.
HOW TO MAKE LOADED BREAKFAST SWEET POTATOES
Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for about 45 minutes until they are fork-tender.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, mix the eggs and milk together and scramble them on the stovetop.
Make a slit in the center of the cooked potatoes and mash the flesh with a fork. Put the scrambled eggs into the potato and add your toppings to serve.
TIPS TO MAKE THESE SWEET POTATOES
- Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave to save time. Prefer the texture when the potatoes are baked in the oven, but if you are short on time you can cook them in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to make holes in the potatoes before baking. It reduces baking time and your potatoes won’t burst. It also helps the skin to move away from the flesh and get crispy.
- Don’t rub the potatoes with oil when you bake them. It doesn’t make any difference to the texture of flavor, so skip it.
WHAT DO YOU TOP THE SWEET POTATOES WITH?
Love putting salsa, mashed avocados, sour cream, cilantro, and some hot sauce. But you can also just put fresh tomatoes and avocado if you’d like, or just shredded cheese and hot sauce. You get the idea. And you get to be in charge of customizing it!
CAN YOU BAKE THE SWEET POTATOES AHEAD OF TIME?
If you want to get ahead of things, you can bake the sweet potatoes the night before. Let them cool to room temperature and then store them in an airtight container in the fridge. You then just need to reheat them gently in the oven to serve.
IS SWEET POTATO GOOD FOR BREAKFAST?
Sweet potatoes are full of fiber and healthy carbs so they will keep you feeling full and satisfied. They make a great weekend brunch that the whole family will love.
Loaded Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Salsa for serving
- Mashed avocado for serving
- Sour cream for serving
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the sweet potatoes, then bake in the preheated oven directly on the rack for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat the olive oil in a small pan. Whisk the eggs with the milk, sea salt and pepper, pour into the pan over low medium heat and slowly scramble.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked and cooled, cut a slit down the center of the sweet potato about 2/3 of the way down. Using a fork, slightly mush the inside of the sweet potato and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the scrambled eggs inside the sweet potatoes. Add salsa, mashed avocados, sour cream, hot sauce and cilantro, if desired. Enjoy warm!