This healthy lentil and bean salad is a post-work salad ridiculously high in protein, best for fitness, and a healthy diet. A tasty and effective dish ready in just 7 minutes!
High-protein Vegan Lentil and Bean Salad Recipe by Hauke Fox
This lentil and bean salad is vegan, high-protein, quick, and tasty – 40g per serving in fact!
Following are the health benefits:
- Good after a workout to recharge on carbohydrates and your glycogen storage. Glycogen is your body’s store of carbs and it’s important to restore these levels as they get depleted during your workout session.
- Also contains 40g of protein per serving (when the whole salad is considered one serving) which is of course important for muscle growth.
Ingredients For Lentil and Bean Salad Vegan:
- Red lentils
- Kidney beans
- Red pepper
- Spring onions
- Salt & pepper.
How long does lentil and bean salad last?
In the fridge, this salad will last for 2-3 days.
Do we eat it hot or cold?
Either way is delicious! This dish also works brilliantly as a make-ahead lunch if you need something high protein and vegan on the go.
Can you freeze lentil salad?
Whilst you can freeze it, this salad is best eaten fresh as you get the full range of textures, from the crunch of the peppers and scallions to the tender but firm lentils.
What goes with a lentil bean salad?
This salad stands alone well, but you could also serve it with fresh wholemeal or rye bread on the side.
Lentil and Bean Salad Vegan
- 3/4 cup red lentils, dried
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed, 1 can = 15.5oz)
- 1 bell pepper, red
- 3-4 spring onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- If using dried red lentils then prepare according to package instructions (or just add 1 part red lentils to 1.5 parts of water with a little salt in a pot. Bring it to a boil and then let the lentils simmer for about 12-15 minutes depending on how soft you like them. Season with a little more salt, when the lentils are cooked. Alternatively you can cook them in veggie broth for extra flavour).
- Meanwhile cut the spring onions and bell pepper. Also grate the garlic.
- Get a big bowl and throw in all the ingredients, including the lentils and beans.
- Finally, if using, add the tomato sauce (as much as you like), give it a stir, do a taste test and, if necessary, season one last time with salt and pepper.