This Keto Vegetable Beef Stew is a delicious and full of flavor low-carb recipe. This is the best dinner or can be used as lunch too!
KETO BEEF STEW Recipe by ARMAN
A vegetable beef stew is the epitome of healthy comfort food:
Why this keto beef stew recipe will have you mesmerized
- Simple ingredients: No hard-to-find cuts of beef or obscure herbs and spices- just easy and affordable ingredients!
- One-pot dish: Whether you cook this in a Dutch oven, slow cooker, or instant pot, there is just one dish that makes a mess.
- Healthy and nutritious: It’s full of fresh vegetables and has no added fats or sugar.
- Customizable: Don’t have carrots or jicama on hand? Rutabagas and sweets are other low-carb root vegetables that also can be used!
This keto stew is delicious it continues to taste even a week after you cook it. Leftovers taste incredible and you can freeze batches for an easy weeknight dinner or when you can’t be bothered making something from scratch.
Ingredients For Keto Vegetable Beef Stew:
- Beef chuck roast– Often referred to as stewing beef, this is the best cut of beef to use for stews or soups. Slice your beef into thicker chunks instead of bite-sized pieces, so that it will keep the better flavor.
- Salt and pepper– To coat the beef before adding it to the stew.
- Coconut flour or almond flour– Either almond or coconut flour is used to lightly dust the beef to brown the beef better and also enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- Olive oil– While any oil works, the olive variety is the most flavorful and the best to use in stews.
- Stewing vegetables– Onion, garlic, carrots, and jicama.
- Beef broth– Choose one with no added sugar or salt.
- Tomato paste– Just a small amount to give a flavor hit.
- Worcestershire sauce– A must for any recipe using beef.
- Bay leaf– Adds an extra layer of flavor and fabulous aroma.
Instructions For Keto Vegetable Beef Stew:
Start by preparing the beef. Season the beef with salt and pepper, then dust it with almond or coconut flour. Next, heat the oil in a large dutch oven or pot and place it over medium heat. Once hot, brown the beef on all sides, then remove it from the pot and set it aside. Add the onions, garlic, and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion starts to soften. Add the jicama, beef broth, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring everything to a simmer before adding the beef back in, along with the bay leaf.
Now, take the dutch oven/pot off the heat, add the bay leaf, and cover it. Transfer it to a preheated oven and let everything cook for two hours. Remove the bay leaf and serve immediately.
Slow cooker and instant pot instructions:
Easily make this dish in the slow cooker or instant pot, if you own either of them.
- Slow cooker beef stew– Season the beef and cook it in a non-stick pan until it has browned. Place it into a slow cooker, followed by the remaining ingredients. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Instant pot beef stew– Season the beef, then add the oil into the instant pot. Using the saute function, cook the meat until it has browned on all sides. Add the remaining ingredients, close the lid, and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Let the stew sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe:
- Remove visible chunks of fat from the beef, as it can make the stew gritty and the beef chewy.
- Be sure to use a good quality beef broth to ensure it enhances the beef flavor, not detract from it. If in doubt, you can always use vegetable stock.
- If you don’t own a Dutch oven, you can use a deep oven-proof skillet instead.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions:
- To store: Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place the cooled stew in a freezer-friendly container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Microwave them for 30-40 second spurts or reheat in a small saucepan.
Keto Vegetable Beef Stew
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour or almond flour
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot chopped into large chunks
- 2 medium jicama diced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F.
- In a small bowl, add the beef chunks, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Add the coconut flour and gently toss it together.
- Add the oil to a large Dutch oven or a deep skillet and place it over medium heat. Add the seasoned beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, until no longer brown. Remove the beef and set it aside.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, and jicama and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onion and garlic are fragrant. Add the remaining ingredients, except the beef, and bring to a boil. Once it begins to boil, add the beef and let it simmer for several minutes.
- Remover the Dutch oven off the heat and cover it. Place it in the oven for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve immediately.