This keto shrimp sesame is a lightweight gluten-free dish. It’s an ideal family dish that can be served at dinner. These shrimp are perfect with buttered rice or noodles and sauteed greens.
Sesame Shrimp Skewers Recipe by Maebells
These Sesame Shrimp Skewers have become our go-to easy dinner because we always have some frozen shrimp in the freezer and the rest of the ingredients are pantry staples. This is perfect to pair with a nice big salad, grilled vegetables, or easy fried rice.
Ingredients for Sesame Shrimp Skewers
The ingredients list for this shrimp skewers recipe is short and simple. Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Toasted sesame oil
- Soy sauce (use certified gluten-free, if needed)
- Chili garlic sauce
How to Make Sesame Shrimp Skewers
- Mix together the grilled shrimp skewers marinade by combining the sesame oil, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and minced garlic.
- Place shrimp and half of the marinade in a ziplock bag. Let marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Grill until shrimp is cooked through, flipping once to ensure even cooking.
- Brush with remaining sauce and garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
How Long to Grill Shrimp Skewers?
Shrimp cooks incredibly fast! These sesame shrimp skewers need to grill for just 2 to 3 minutes per side over medium heat. You’ll know the shrimp are done when they’re pink all over.
Can We Make These Skewers Without a Grill?
Yes! We normally grill these shrimp skewers on our charcoal grill, but we have also done them inside in our grill pan/panini press on rainy days and it is just as easy so either option works just fine!
What Type of Shrimp Should We Buy?
We buy frozen raw shrimp that’s been peeled, deveined, and the tails have been removed. We prefer buying larger shrimp since they stay juicy after being grilled. Smaller shrimp cooks so fast that it’s easy to overcook them by mistake!
Tips for Making Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Normally you can find sesame seed oil in the ethnic food section and/or in the baking section next to the regular oils; check both places. Chances are one is much cheaper than the other!
- If using wood skewers, We recommend soaking them in water while the shrimp marinates. Soaking the skewers first prevents them from burning on the grill.
- For spicier shrimp, add some Sriracha to the grilled shrimp skewers marinade!
Keto Shrimp Sesame
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails removed
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Make marinade by combining the sesame oil, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and minced garlic.
- Place shrimp and half of the marinade in a ziplock bag for at least 15 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Thread shrimp onto skewers (discard any marinade left in bag).
- Grill 2-3 minutes on each side, or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Brush with remaining marinade and garnish with sesame seeds if desired.