This one-pot keto jambalaya recipe is a perfect and easy dinner idea ready in just 20 minutes! It’s loaded with shrimp, andouille sausage, and vegetables.
KETO JAMBALAYA Recipe by ARMAN
What is jambalaya?
Jambalaya is a Cajun/Creole dish with Spanish, African, and French influences. It’s a rice-based stew filled with vegetables, meat, and seafood, all simmered in a flavorful stock. It’s all made in one pot and is especially popular in New Orleans.
This jambalaya recipe is loaded with juicy shrimp, andouille sausage, three kinds of peppers, and a zesty Cajun seasoning, for this recipe swap out rice for cauliflower rice, keeping it low carb!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Shrimp: Large or jumbo shrimp are best, as they remain extra juicy and soak up all the other flavors well. Choose shrimp that are shelled, for convenience.
- Andouille sausage OR chorizo: Prefer using andouille sausage, as it gives the jambalaya a more authentic flavor, but chorizo will also work. Be sure to choose sausage that is keto-friendly.
- Garlic, onion, bell peppers, and celery: Key vegetables used to add flavor, color, and crunch to this dish.
- Cauliflower rice: Traditional jambalaya contains rice, but to keep it low carb, used cauliflower rice instead. Either make your own or use a freshly packaged one.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
- Cajun seasoning: A must for any good jambalaya!
- Chicken broth: Adds flavor and keeps the dish moist. You can also use a bouillon cube dissolved in hot water.
- Diced tomatoes: Diced canned tomatoes that have no added sugar or spices.
- Parsley: To serve.
Instructions For Keto Jambalaya Recipe:
Start by removing the tails from the shrimp and pre-cooking the sausage. In a non-stick pan, add the sliced sausage and cook until golden.
Next, add the onion to the same pan and saute until fragrant. Add the bell peppers and celery and cook for several minutes until tender. Add the garlic, cauliflower rice, salt, and pepper, and simmer for several minutes.
Now, add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and shrimp. Let everything simmer together until the mixture thickens, and the shrimp is fully cooked. Add the cooked sausage and simmer for five more minutes before removing from the heat and serving immediately.
- Do not use frozen cauliflower rice, as it will add excess liquid to the dish and potentially make it watery.
- If you prefer a thicker jambalaya, you can let the mixture simmer longer.
- Add extra spice, by sprinkling some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes throughout.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating:
- To store: Once the jambalaya has cooled, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a sealable container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave it for 30-40 seconds or reheat the stovetop.
Keto Jambalaya Recipe
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled
- 1 lb Andouille sausage
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large bell peppers, yellow, red, and green
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes, canned
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- Remove the tails from the shrimp and slice up your sausage into bite sized pieces.
- Add the oil into a non-stick skillet and once hot, cook the sausage until golden brown. Remove the sausage from the skillet.
- Add the onion to the same skillet and saute for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the bell peppers and celery and cook until tender. Add the garlic, cauliflower rice, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasonings. Simmer for several minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and chicken broth and the shrimp and simmer until the liquid reduces and the mixture thickens up. Add the sausage and simmer for a further minute.
- Remove the jambalaya from the heat and add extra salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.