The tasty Keto Ham and Cheese Bites are homemade egg bites with very low net carb and great warm or cold. This is a very easy and delicious meal recipe.
Keto Ham and Cheese Bites Recipe by Annie
If you’ve been a reader long and you are trying a low-carb diet. This is so popular because it is very easy, makes a large batch, and is perfect for meal prep.
What is the Keto Diet?
Keto is a high fat, low carb diet. When your body is in a state of ketosis it burns fat for fuel instead of carbs. The total amount of suggested net carbs can vary from person to person, but generally, people can reach ketosis when they have had 40-20 net carbs.
It can be difficult to find grab-and-go or meal prep-style foods that fit this diet because so many of those go-to options are full of carbs. These ham and cheese homemade egg bites are tasty eaten warm or cold. One batch makes over 20 bites (24 for me) and they contain 1.5 net carbs each! They make a great low-carb breakfast or a good lunch paired with a garden salad or other low-carb side.
Ingredients for Homemade Egg Bites
This recipe contains — protein, cheese, cream cheese, eggs, baking powder, and coconut flour. For these particular keto bites, used:
- Cream cheese
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Can Substitute the Coconut Flour?
Get a lot of questions regarding coconut flour. But do not notice any coconut flavor, but suppose if you are highly sensitive you might get some hint of the flavor?
You can substitute almond flour if you wish, but it will not yield the best result. The bites are light and fluffy with coconut flour, and they are denser if you sub almond flour. We highly suggest making the recipe as written for the best results.
How to Make Homemade Egg Bites
- Combine the ham and softened cream cheese.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Chill the mixture for at least 10 minutes in the fridge. Do NOT skip this step!
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop the mixture onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F until golden brown on top.
Can Freeze These Keto Bites?
Yes! You can freeze these all the time. Let them cool to room temperature, then freeze on a baking sheet so that they don’t clump together. Once hard, seal inside a freezer bag. To reheat, microwave in 30-second intervals.
Tips for Making Keto Ham Cheese Bites
- Use brick-style cream cheese for this recipe. Full-fat or light will both work, but it must be brick-style.
- If you don’t follow a keto diet, you can likely use regular all-purpose flour to make this recipe.
- Store the bites in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Keto Ham Cheese Bites
- 2 cups ham, chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine ham and cream cheese until completely combined.
- Add in remaining ingredients until well combined and chill 10 minutes.If you skip chilling the dough they will flatten as they cook and not be nice round balls.
- Drop onto a greased baking sheet (like to use the silicone baking mats) using a small cookie scoop.
- Bake 20-23 minutes until golden brown.