This delicious Keto Enchiladas Recipe is a classic Mexican dish. Tortillas filled with grilled chicken, vegetables, cheese, keto enchilada sauce, and baked with even more cheese! These are low-carb and grain-free.
KETO ENCHILADAS Recipe by ARMAN LIEW
If we had to pick a favorite cuisine, Mexican food would win hands down. An all-time favorite dish is enchiladas, which are the epitome of comfort food. There’s something special about tortillas filled with chicken, cheese, and vegetables, with a spicy sauce and covered in cheese. Since going keto, we’ve tried our hardest to make our own version of it and have been eating it on repeat since!
Planning to share a keto enchiladas recipe for quite some time. It is so quick and easy to prepare and tastes incredible. Now, these enchiladas may look incredibly fancy, but promise you, they are a foolproof recipe. No grains and no sugar are needed, but you’d never tell. They are spicy, smoky, sweet, and cheesy, and the best part is how customizable these are- Fill them with anything and everything!
Ingredients to make Keto Chicken Enchiladas Recipe:
For the keto enchilada sauce
- Tomato sauce– Also known as tomato passata, it forms the base of the sauce. Do not use tomato paste or tomato sauce with added sugar.
- Onion and garlic- Adds flavor and fragrance to the sauce.
- Cumin– Slightly sweet and slightly bitter, this meshes very well with the filling ingredients.
- Smoked paprika and chili powder- These add smokiness, slight sweetness, and of course, a punch of spice.
- Salt and pepper– To taste!
For the enchilada filling
- Olive oil– To try everything it.
- Onion and bell peppers– Adds flavor, color, and some added crunch.
- Protein of choice– Chicken, ground beef, fish, or even plant based meat crumbles.
- Taco seasoning– All the delicious Mexican spices. Used keto taco seasoning.
- Low carb tortillas– For this recipe, used store bought low carb tortillas, as it was easier to make. However, you can also use homemade keto tortillas.
- Shredded cheese– A blend of cheddar and spicy cheddar cheese.
How do you make Keto Enchiladas Recipe?
Start by preparing your enchilada sauce. In a high-speed blender, add all the ingredients and blend until completely combined. Pour it into a large bowl and set it aside. Next, prepare the enchilada filling. In a non-stick pan, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions start to brown. Add the chopped protein of choice (used chicken breast), follow the taco seasoning, and cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked.
Now, prepare the enchiladas. Place on low carb tortilla onto a flat surface. Cover it with enchilada sauce, before adding the filling into the center. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and fold both sides to the middle of the tortilla. Place a toothpick to hold it in place and transfer it into a large baking dish. Repeat the process until all the filling has been used up. Spread with the remaining enchilada sauce and cover with more cheese.
Finally, bake the enchiladas for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best low carb enchiladas:
- Use a good quality brand low carb tortillas, like woolworths or Mission. Some brands fall apart when you add the filling to it.
- Unlike traditional enchiladas, recommend you go lighter on the sauce, and keep the edges dry. This will ensure they hold their shape the entire time.
- Feel free to add extra cheese or other low carb vegetables, for some added bulk. Spinach, zucchini, and eggplant are all fantastic options.
- You can use a store bought enchilada sauce if you prefer. Just be wary that many brands have added sugar and thickeners in them.
Storing and freezing enchiladas
- To store: Enchiladas can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Remove the enchiladas from the baking dish and place them in a shallow container. Store the container in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Enchiladas are best reheated in a preheated oven until the cheese is warm and the edges of the tortillas are crispy. You can reheat from frozen.
Keto Enchiladas Recipe
For the enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce passata
- 1/2 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a large baking tray and set aside.
- Place all your enchilada sauce ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend well, until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Place large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and once hot, add the diced onions and peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onions are golden. Add the diced chicken and taco seasoning and mix well. Cook for 8-10 minutes, while stirring regularly, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Start assembling the enchiladas. Place a single tortilla onto a plate. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce, or enough to cover the tortilla. Add some of the chicken filling into the center, followed by a few tablespoons of shredded cheese. Fold either together and use a toothpick to hold it in place. Place the filled tortilla into the baking dish. Repeat until all the tortillas are filled.
- Cover the tortillas with any remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove the toothpicks and serve immediately.