Keto Clam Chowder Soup is So creamy and comforting, there is nothing like good clam chowder. However, after taking a closer look, you’ll often find high-carb veggies and all-purpose flour lurking in every spoonful. These two ingredients turn what could be a keto-friendly staple into a carb-laden soup. It’s time to flip the script on clam chowder by making it both healthy and satisfying with one simple keto recipe.
Keto Clam Chowder Recipe by RuledMe
How to Make Delicious and Healthy Keto Clam Chowder Soup:
The secret to cutting the carbs from your chowder without losing flavor is to keep it simple.
Rather than relying on watery ingredients and using flour to thicken it, use thick and flavorful keto ingredients and let the broth and clam juice thin it.
With this clam chowder recipe, for example, you’ll use cream cheese and heavy cream as your soup base. Along with that, you’ll be incorporating exclusively low-carb ingredients, which will add all the flavors and textures we love without the unnecessary carbs.
Is Clam Chowder Keto?
Whether it is Manhattan or New England clam chowder, they are rarely made in a keto-friendly way. Both versions rely on high-carb veggies, especially New England clam chowder.
After adding potatoes, carrots, and all-purpose flour, the net carb content reaches over 18 grams in each serving. Some recipes even come with over 30 grams per cup!
Fortunately for us keto dieters, it is easier to take out the carbs than it is to add them in. In fact, all it takes is a few simple changes to make clam chowder keto.
Makes a total of 8 servings of Keto Clam Chowder. Each serving comes out to be 471 calories, 39.8g fat, 8.1g net carbs, and 21.6g protein.
Keto Clam Chowder Soup
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 small leek , sliced
- 2 ribs celery , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ten-ounce cans whole baby clams , drained
- 2 cups clam juice
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon , chopped and cooked
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Prep all ingredients. Put the slow cooker on low setting.
- Add chicken broth, onion, leek, celery, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 1 hour.
- Once vegetables have softened, add clams, clam juice, cooked bacon, cream cheese, and heavy cream.
- Stir together until cream cheese is softened and well incorporated. Add thyme and stir again. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Optionally: Turn slow cooker to high and leave the lid off for 30 minutes if you want to reduce the chowder to make it thicker.
- Serve hot and enjoy!