The Keto Chicken Florentine recipe has tender chicken pieces simmered in a creamy Florentine sauce. This is ready in just 20 minutes, it’s a delicious low-carb dinner recipe.
Chicken Florentine Recipe by ARMAN LIEW
Keto Chicken Florentine
Quick and easy chicken dinners are a family favorite. When we feel like being fancy (minus all the fuss!) we love making a creamy chicken florentine.
What is chicken florentine?
Chicken florentine is a classic Italian chicken dish, with origins from the Florence region. Its key features include a creamy sauce that contains cream, butter, cheese (in this case, parmesan!), and spinach.
This chicken florentine recipe is perfect when you want an easy yet impressive dinner that comes together in no time. It’s super low in carbs, making it perfect for a keto diet! No one else follows a ketogenic diet, but we are all obsessed with it!
Now, this dish may be incredibly low carb, but it’s full of flavor. Tender chicken pieces simmered in a florentine sauce. It’s elegant yet easy enough to make on a weeknight! It’s creamy, hearty, buttery, and with a subtle cheesy flavor.
What we love about this recipe is that is the perfect thing to whip up when you have guests coming and you want to cook something with minimal effort.
What goes into this recipe?
For the chicken.
- Chicken breasts– Skinless chicken breast fillets. You will need just two fillets, which will be sliced in half to make four servings.
- Salt and pepper– To sprinkle on the outside of the chicken.
- Almond flour– Blanched or superfine almond flour. Do not use almond meal, as it will separate when combined with the florentine sauce.
- Parmesan cheese– Freshly grated, NOT the shelf stable kind.
- Olive oil– To pan fry the chicken before adding the sauce.
For the florentine sauce.
- Butter– A must for any good simmering sauce.
- Garlic– Freshly minced or jarred garlic.
- Chicken broth– Also known as chicken stock. Use a good quality broth so it really enhances the chicken flavor.
- Italian seasonings– A mix of dried basil, oregano, and rosemary.
- Heavy cream– Also known as thickened cream or double cream.
- Parmesan cheese– Like the coating for the chicken breast, use freshly grated.
- Spinach– Baby spinach is preferred.
How do you make a keto chicken florentine?
Start by slicing the chicken breasts lengthways, leaving you with four thin breasts. Pound them and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Once seasoned, dip them in almond flour and parmesan cheese.
Next, place a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, and, once hot, add the seasoned chicken breasts. Cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the chicken from the heat.
Now, add the butter into the skillet, then the garlic, chicken broth, and Italian seasoning. Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes, before adding in the cream, parmesan cheese, and baby spinach. Once the sauce has thickened, add the chicken back and simmer for five more minutes before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not overcook the chicken, as it will continue to cook as it is resting. It will also continue to cook when you add it into the florentine sauce.
- For an even cheesier flavor, sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese on top.
- Serve this hot, as the florentine sauce with congeal as it starts to cool down.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place the chicken and the sauce in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the chicken with the sauce in 30-second spurts until hot, or in a skillet.
Keto Chicken Florentine
For the chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
For the florentine sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach loosely packed
- Slice the two chicken breasts lengthways to form four, thin pieces of chicken. Season the four chicken pieces with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour and parmesan cheese. Dip each chicken fillet in the flour mixture, ensuring everything is covered
- Add the oil and one tablespoon of the butter into a skillet and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden on the outside. Remove the chicken from the heat.
- Add the extra butter to the pan, along with the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, before adding the chicken broth and Italian seasoning. Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until it has noticeably reduced. Add the cream and bring it to a boil, then add the parmesan cheese and spinach.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and let it simmer for 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the chicken and the florentine sauce immediately.