This spicy keto buffalo chicken casserole is a low-carb recipe packed with buffalo chicken, broccoli, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
Buffalo Chicken Casserole (keto + low carb) Recipe by ANNIE HOLMES
Ingredients You Will Need:
Here is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this keto chicken casserole:
- Cooked Chicken: Used leftover shredded chicken, but a rotisserie chicken would be a great shortcut!
- Broccoli Florets and Celery: Fresh broccoli and celery are recommended for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth: A good quality chicken stock is best for this recipe. The vegetable broth will also work.
- Cream Cheese: Full or reduced-fat will work.
- Heavy Cream: Creates a perfect creamy sauce.
- Shredded Cheddar: You can use a different variety of cheese if you prefer.
- Buffalo Sauce: Adds the perfect tangy, spicy element.
- Toppings: Cooked, crispy bacon, green onions, and bleu cheese.
Optional: Suggest using a xantham gum or cornstarch and water mixture to thicken the sauce. This is not required but recommended.
Instructions For Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole:
This is such an easy recipe, you really just need to follow three basic steps:
- Layer broccoli, celery, and cooked chicken in a prepared casserole dish and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, make the cheese sauce by combining the chicken broth, cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheddar cheese. There is an additional optional but recommended step to add corn starch or xanthan gum slurry to help thicken the sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken and broccoli, top with buffalo sauce and the remaining cheddar, and bake until bubbly.
- Top with crispy bacon, green onions, bleu cheese, and additional buffalo sauce.
Can we use Frozen Broccoli?
Fresh broccoli will provide the best results in this recipe. Frozen broccoli does release a lot of moisture which can result in a soggy casserole. If you are in a pinch and need to use frozen broccoli, steam the broccoli for half the amount of time on the package and allow it to rest on paper towels while you make the cheese sauce. Next, add the steamed broccoli to the casserole and reduce the cooking time to 15-20 minutes total cooking time. The casserole is done when the broccoli is tender and the cheese has melted.
Can you make Chicken Casserole ahead of time?
Yess! This keto chicken casserole is very easy to make ahead of time and serve later. You can make this casserole and cover it with a lid or aluminum foil and place it in the fridge. This casserole will stay fresh in the fridge for up to four days. To reheat, place in the oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes. You could also place this casserole in smaller portions in plastic containers and warm it in the microwave, making it perfect for meal prep!
Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce (more if desired)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- *1 tbsp corn starch (OR 1 teaspoon xanthan gum) + 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, 2 tablespoons green onions, 2+ tablespoons bleu cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a lightly greased 7×11 baking dish spread the shredded chicken evenly across the bottom and place the broccoli on top. Add salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Heat a deep skillet to medium heat and add the chicken broth, and cubed cream cheese, stir until the cream cheese has dissolved. Add the heavy cream and 1 cup of the cheddar. Bring mixture to a slight simmer and allow it to cook 4-5 minutes until it has begun to thicken.
- OPTIONAL, but recommended: If you want to thicken the sauce even more (like a cream of soup consistency) you can combine 1 tablespoon corn starch and 1 tablespoon cold water OR 1 teaspoon xanthan gum + 1 tablespoon cold water and slowly pour it into the cheese sauce as you stir. The sauce will thicken almost immediately.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken and broccoli. Top with the buffalo sauce and remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until the broccoli is tender and the cheese has begun to brown.