Keto Baked Chicken Casserole has the perfect combination of flavors that is perfect for a healthy meal that you need on a busy day! The cream sauce of this Keto Baked Chicken Casserole is hearty, cheesy, and full with yummy pesto. Your oven will feel honored to bake this tasty goodness for you over and over again.
Keto Chicken Casserole Recipe by Diet Doctor
Sauce too runny? If you’d like an even thicker sauce, add some extra shredded cheese. This will give the dish even more flavor and consistency. Green it up! A rich dish like this only gets better if you serve it with a side of fresh leafy greens. Dress with a generous drizzle of olive oil, some balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkle of sea salt. Would like some extra heat? Spice things up with some red pepper flakes!
Cleaning and slicing leeks
Start with rinsing the leek and patting dry with a paper or kitchen towel. Use a sharp knife to cut off the darker green end. Thinly slice the leek into rings and you’re ready to go!
Keto Baked Chicken Casserole Meal prep
This dish can be prepared by frying the chicken ahead of time. You can assemble the entire casserole and keep it in the fridge for a day before baking it. Just make sure you let it come to room temperature before placing in the oven. It’s also good to give it a stir since the pesto can sink to the bottom. If you have chicken or turkey leftovers they are perfect for this dish. Just skip step 3 in the instructions and you are good to go! If you’re short on time you can also use a rotisserie chicken. Take the meat off the bones and divide it into bite-sized pieces before adding it to the baking dish.
Storing and reheating
If you intend to eat the casserole within 2-3 days you can store it in the fridge. Otherwise, it’s better to place the casserole in the freezer where it will last up to 3 months. Make sure your dish is suitable for freezing.
Let thaw in the refrigerator the day before you plan on serving it. Don’t place a cold baking dish straight from the fridge into a hot oven as this can cause your dish to crack. Reheat the casserole in the oven at 300°F (150°C) until thoroughly warm. When thawing and reheating this casserole the result may be a bit more liquid but the flavor will still be good.
Keto Baked Chicken Casserole
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream or sour cream
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 3 tbsp green pesto
- ½ lemon , the juice
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1½ oz. butter
- 2 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 leek , finely chopped
- 4 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lb Cauliflower , cut into small florets
- 7 oz. shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Mix cream and cream cheese with pesto and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and fry until they turn a nice golden brown.
- Place the chicken in a greased 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish, and pour in the cream mixture.
- Top chicken with leek, tomatoes and cauliflower.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake in the middle of the oven for at least 30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. If the casserole is at risk of burning before it's done, cover it with a piece of aluminium foil, lower the heat and let cook for a little longer.
- Net carbs: 4 % (7 g)
- Fiber: 2 g
- Fat: 76 % (62 g)
- Protein: 20 % (37 g)
- kcal: 739