Marsala is a wine that is famous in Sicily, Italy. Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is a dish with a wine reduction sauce, this sauce makes the chicken even more flavorful. This recipe will definitely woo your soup lover self, and is also perfect for cold days as it will heat your up tummies. This Instant Pot Chicken Marsala recipe will become one of your favorite Healthy Chicken Dinner Recipes ever!
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala Soup Recipe by Tiffany
It’s such a hearty dish, and so flavorful and full of that earthy, umami zing. You know, that deep, rich, hearty savory-ness that you just want to taste in all the things? It’s hard to explain clearly. I guess you’ll just have to make it and see for yourself! This soup is on heavy rotation in my house right now. We all love it and it’s just a comforting dish to come home to at the end of the day.
WHAT IS TRADITIONALLY SERVED WITH CHICKEN MARSALA SOUP?
In this recipe, it’s noodles into the soup because the author would generally serve any kind of chicken marsala over noodles. You can also serve this with a nice crusty roll or thick slices of buttered French bread or even sourdough. You can also make a side of mashed potatoes. You may have friends that are known to go ahead and serve the soup right on over a big bowl of mashed potatoes, and, it’s really quite delicious. If you want a healthy side, then consider making roasted, steamed, or grilled broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans, or asparagus.
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR MARSALA COOKING WINE?
If you don’t mind fortified wine, you can use Marsala cooking wine since this alcohol will cook out. But if you want to use something else in place of the marsala cooking wine you can combine these ingredients:
- 1 cup of white grape juice
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 lbs mushrooms sliced
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup marsala cooking wine
- 6 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz short noodles
- 1 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Pepper or to taste
- grated parmesan cheese for serving optional
- Set pressure cooker to SAUTE. Add butter, mushrooms, onions, and garlic to the pot and stir once butter is melted. Sprinkle in flour and stir everything to incorporate flour (it should coat the other ingredients in a paste-like coating).
- Stir in marsala cooking wine and simmer until thickened. Add chicken, chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar. Cover and set to PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL for 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release (turn steam valve to VENT and allow to depressurize until float valve drops, then remove lid). Set to SOUP setting. Remove chicken, shred with two forks, and return to pot.
- Once soup is boiling, add noodles and cook about 7 minutes or until noodles are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with grated parmesan cheese if desired, and serve.
- Complete step 1 above in a skillet on the stove over medium heat. Stir in cooking wine and simmer until thickened. Add to slow cooker along with chicken, chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar. Cover and set to HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken, shred with two forks, return to pot along with noodles. Cook 20-30 minutes on HIGH until noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with grated parmesan cheese if desired before serving.
- For a creamy version of this soup, replace one cup of broth with heavy cream and stir in 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese about 5 minutes before serving.
- For a thicker broth, stir in a corn starch slurry (2 tablespoons corn starch dissolved into 3 tablespoons cold water) just before adding the noodles.