This easy hot chocolate homemade recipe is creamy, rich, chocolaty, and tasty. Ready in 5 minutes this vegetarian and gluten-free hot chocolate.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe by Sonja Overhiser
Ingredients You Will Need:
There is a question about what makes the best hot chocolate recipe. Some claim it’s chopped melted chocolate. Others claim cocoa powder is the way to go. But after testing, cocoa powder plus real chocolate is the best. You can omit the chocolate if you don’t have it on hand! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cocoa powder
- 2% milk (or oat milk)
- Vanilla extract
- Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (optional).
Instructions For Hot Chocolate Homemade Recipe:
Here are some tips:
- First, whisk a little milk with the cocoa powder: This helps to make a paste and dissolve most of the powder, which can get lumpy.
- A pinch of cinnamon adds complexity: You can add even more if you’d like a stronger flavor.
- Real chocolate adds richness, body, and depth to the flavor: You can make it with just cocoa powder, but the real chocolate takes it to a whole new level.
Add toppings to serve:
If you’d like to add toppings, try these toppings:
- Homemade whipped cream
- Shaved chocolate
- Cocoa powder
- Marshmallows (homemade or purchased)
- Peppermint candies, crushed
- Chocolate sauce.
This hot chocolate recipe is Vegetarian and gluten-free. For dairy-free and vegan, use oat milk and dairy-free chocolate (or omit).
Other recipes you might like to try: Chocolate Dalgona Drink Keto Low-Carb, Banana Chocolate Ice Cream, Easy Edible Brownie Batter
Hot Chocolate Homemade Recipe
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups 2% milk (or oat milk)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1 ½ ounces) semisweet or dark chocolate chips*
- Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and ¼ cup of the milk and whisk until the cocoa powder is mostly integrated. Whisk in the remaining milk until smooth.