This Healthy Pan-Fried Cod is a delicious, gluten-free, and dairy-free seafood dish. It is an easy dinner idea flavored with spices and olive oil.
Pan-Fried Cod Recipe by Sonja Overhiser
Ingredients For Healthy Pan-Fried Cod:
There are only a handful of simple ingredients needed for this recipe. This recipe has no flour, breading, or batter: just spices! The ingredients for pan-fried cod are:
- Cod fillets (wild-caught if possible)
- Olive oil
- Butter (or more olive oil, for dairy-free)
- Spices: smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed
- Lemon juice
Tips for how to make pan-fried cod:
Pan-fried cod can seem intimidating if you’ve never pan-fried a fish before but it takes less than 10 minutes and is seriously easy to make. Here are a few tips to know:
- Use your largest skillet: This gives enough space for 4 fillets. You can use cast iron, stainless steel, or non-stick for this recipe.
- A combination of olive oil and butter adds flavor. Pan-frying with both types of fat adds depth. (For dairy-free you can use all olive oil).
- Cover with the magic seasoning blend: More on this below.
- Pan fry 2 minutes, then flip and fry 2 more: You’ll know when it’s done when it starts to flake when you prick it with a fork.
Sides to serve:
Turn it into a healthy dinner by adding a few sides.
- Roasted Broccoli
- Mixed vegetables
Other recipes you might like to try: Perfect Blackened Salmon, Baked Haddock Herb Couscous, Garlic Salmon Butter Sauce Lemon
Healthy Pan Fried Cod
- 1 1/2 pounds cod (4 fillets)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (also called pimentón)*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp butter (or olive oil, for dairy-free)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Finely chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the butter and olive oil. When butter is melted, add the cod and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the cod and pour the lemon juice over the fish. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes until the cod is tender and starts to flake when you prick it with a fork (adjust based on the thickness of the fillets). Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately, drizzled with the juices from the pan.