Healthy Italian chicken skewers are the perfect keto idea for a delicious and healthy lunch enjoyed with family! These are very easy to make and full of flavor.
Keto Italian Chicken Skewers Recipe by Catalina
These Italian chicken skewers are good for a keto diet. The meat gets very tender from marinating for a few hours and soaks in all the fresh and citrusy flavors, becoming juicy and aromatic. It turns out unbelievably juicy and tender, with a delicious aroma from the Italian herbs and lemon.
What is a good marinade for keto chicken skewers?
Here are the ingredients that are used to create a flavorful and refreshing marinade:
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning herbs mix
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
Instructions For Healthy Italian Chicken Skewers:
- Prepare the chicken: First, clean and pat dry the chicken, after which cut it into 3-inch cubes.
- Make the Marinade: Mix in a medium bowl all of the marinade ingredients and add the chicken pieces to it. Marinate in the fridge, preferably for a few hours for the best results.
- Skewers: Next, arrange the meat on wooden skewers.
- Cook: Either use a grill pan or an outdoor grill to cook the chicken skewers until the meat is golden brown.
- Serve: The skewers are great served with a yogurt-based sauce or just a drizzle of lemon juice over a green salad.
Can you cook Italian chicken skewers in the oven?
- You can definitely cook them in the oven.
- First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray with cooking oil on a cooling/baking rack, place it on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Next, arrange the chicken skewers onto the baking rack.
- After that, bake them for 10 minutes, baste them with the marinade and turn them over. Bake for another 10 minutes, baste again and bake for 5 more minutes or until done.
Tips For The Best Recipe:
- Chicken meat can become tough and rubbery sometimes, taking the time to marinate it. Marinating will create a huge difference in taste and texture.
- If you don’t have all the marinade ingredients on hand, you can simply mix some lemon juice, olive oil, and parsley to marinate the meat.
- This recipe is also great to make in advance as it reheats well. The leftovers are delicious and can also be added on top of salads.
- Like making these skewers and adding them to lunch boxes. They are fun to eat, healthy, mess-free, and taste great cold. Delicious when paired with fruits and veggies for a complete meal.
Healthy Italian Chicken Skewers ( Keto Lunch)
- 1 1/2-2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast, (cut into 3 inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, (plus extra for cooking)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning herbs mix
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 lemon, (zested and juiced)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Clean chicken by running it under cold water, pat dry with paper towels. Cut and discard any fat pieces.
- Cut chicken into 3 inch cubes and add to a large ziplock bag.
- In a medium bowl mix the rest of the ingredients: olive oil, buttermilk, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Whisk until fully combined. Pour the mixture on top of the chicken.
- Close the ziplock bag, shake to coat the chicken evenly in the marinade and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight. Preferably, shake and toss the chicken during this period a few times, so it marinates evenly.
- For outdoor grilling, heat the grill until hot and spray it with cooking oil. For indoor cooking, place a cast iron grill pan oven medium-high heat and add to it about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- If desired, arrange the chicken pieces on wooden skewers. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Serve with a salad, lemon and your favorite dressing for dipping.