Eggplant Pizza Low Carb is unbelievably similar to the real pizza dough made with wheat but a healthier option! When you try this Eggplant Pizza Low Carb recipe, you won’t notice that it’s gluten-free and keto pizza. You can barely tell!
Low Carb Eggplant Pizza Recipe by Eating Bird Food
A low carb eggplant pizza recipe that uses sliced eggplant instead of a carb-heavy breaded crust. Tons of flavor and super simple to assemble, this recipe is gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan-friendly. Does anyone else feel like eggplant is a forgotten veggie? Uhh, besides the eggplant emoji, when is the last time you thought about eggplant? Or purchased eggplant? Or maybe you’ve never even eaten it before?!
What are the benefits of eating eggplant?
Eggplants are very nutrient dense – meaning they pack a lot of vitamins and minerals in without a ton of calories. They’re low in carbs, but high in fiber, folate, potassium and manganese along with other vitamins and minerals. One important thing to note: eggplant, just like tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and tomatillos, are in the nightshade family. Nightshades are typically safe to consume but they do contain alkaloids so if you’re someone who struggles with autoimmune conditions, IBS or other food sensitives consuming nightshades might contribute to your condition.
Is eggplant good for losing weight?
Because of eggplant’s texture, flavor and ability to replace higher calorie foods, eggplants are great to incorporate when trying to lose weight – and this recipe is the perfect example! Instead of making or ordering pizza with a doughy crust loaded with calories, you can easily make this eggplant pizza that is packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals! All the pizza flavor is still there — you’re just replacing the crust with something a bit healthier.
Eggplant Pizza Low Carb
- 1 eggplant large
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 pinch himalayan salt
- 1 pinch 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup marinara organic, seasoned OR pre-cooked tomato sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shreded
- 1 handful pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle it with olive oil.
- Wash and dry eggplant and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spread slices apart on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add toppings. Spoon on the marinara sauce (organic, no sugar added), add shredded cheese and pepperoni. Add extra toppings as desired -- chicken, bacon, ham, vegetables, mushrooms, olives, etc.
- Broil in the oven, on high, until desired crispiness. Careful not to burn.
- Serve immediately using a spatula and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 791mg
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 17g