These easy peanut butter crackers are quick and healthy snack recipes made with simple ingredients. No oil and no butter needed, they are secretly vegan and can be made gluten-free!
PEANUT BUTTER CRACKERS Recipe by ARMAN LIEW
Classic peanut butter crackers were something that wants to eat at least once a day, sometimes twice. Ritz peanut butter crackers were best and could polish off an entire box in one sitting. Now, those crackers were perhaps some of the unhealthiest snacks ever and often contained several kinds of oils and trans fats. Luckily, the homemade version skipped that part.
This peanut butter crackers recipe is a little different from what you might be used to. Not only are they healthy, vegan, and gluten-free, but they are SO easy to make. You need just 6 ingredients and no butter or oil in the dough! Crispy, crunchy, and perfectly salty, this is the snack you can feel good about giving to your kids!
What we love about this recipe is you can flavor them or sandwich them up with cheese, jelly, or extra peanut butter!
How do you make easy peanut butter crackers?
- White all purpose flour and wholewheat flour– A combination of both flours are used to ensure the crackers are perfectly light, crispy, but also have a nutritional punch to them.
- Baking powder– Leavening agent used to give the crackers some rise and stability.
- Salt– Just a pinch to add flavor. If you use salted peanut butter, you can omit this.
- Peanut butter- Smooth peanut butter, not the crunchy kind!
- Water– To form a smooth dough.
- Sesame oil OR peanut oil– To brush on each cracker.
- Sesame seeds– Optional, but like to sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of the crackers before baking them.
Start by whisking together the dry ingredients. Next, form a well in the center add the peanut butter and water and stir until combined. Using your hands, knead the dough until smooth.
Next, transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Shape the dough into a rectangle shape, cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for an hour.
Now, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out until it is around 1/8 inch in thickness. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into crackers. Prick each cracker, brush with the peanut oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Finally, place the crackers on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until crisp. Remove the crackers from the oven and let them cool completely before enjoying them.
Can we substitute the peanut butter?
If you have a peanut allergy or want an alternative, you can use tahini or sunflower seed butter. These are also great options if you want these crackers to be nut-free.
Tips to make the best healthy peanut butter crackers:
- You must refrigerate the dough to ensure the peanut butter firms up, which helps the crackers from overspreading.
- Roll out the dough between sheets of parchment paper to keep it uniform and smooth.
- The sesame seeds are completely optional. You can keep the crackers plain or sprinkle them with some coarse sea salt.
- Cheese and peanut butter crackers– Fold through half a cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the dough.
- Peanut butter and jelly crackers– Omit the salt in the dough and swirl through half a cup of your favorite store bought jelly or homemade jam.
- Orange peanut butter crackers– Similar to cheese crackers, sprinkle cheese flavorings on the crackers once they have cooked.
- Chocolate covered peanut butter crackers– Omit the added salt on the crackers and once cooled, dip them in melted dark or milk chocolate.
- Honey peanut butter crackers– Once the crackers have cooled, drizzle honey on half the crackers and place a second cracker on top (to make sandwich crackers).
Storing and freezing instructions:
- To store: Store these crackers at room temperature, covered, for up to 4 weeks.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Easy Peanut Butter Crackers
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp peanut butter smooth and creamy
- 5 tbsp water * See notes
- 1 tsp peanut oil to brush
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until combined. Form a well in the center then add the peanut butter and water. Stir together until a thick dough remains. Using your hands, shape the dough into a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured kitchen surface and knead several times. Shape the dough into a rectangle shape. wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about 12-inches down the sides and around 1/16th of an inch in thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut out 8 rows by 6 rows, to form 48 crackers.
- Prick each cracker with a fork. Brush the crackers with a tiny bit of peanut oil and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
- Bake the crackers for 13-15 minutes, until crispy. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely.