This healthy Keto Beef Stroganoff is made with tender sirloin simmered in a thick and creamy sauce. This keto comfort food can serve with low-carb pasta.
KETO BEEF STROGANOFF Recipe by ARMAN
Beef Stroganoff hails from Russia and is made up of tender beef in a creamy sauce. There are many variations of it, but the most popular ones involve mushrooms and sour cream. While the original version is far from keto-friendly, you can easily make a few tweaks to add it to your menu!
Ingredients For Easy Keto Beef Stroganoff:
- Sirloin steak: The best cut of beef for this dish. It remains tender and soaks up the creamy sauce so well.
- Garlic and onion: Adds flavor and works well with beef.
- Butter: Unsalted butter from a block/stick, not a spread.
- Beef broth: Choose a high-quality beef broth with no additives or fillers.
- Worcestershire sauce: The secret ingredient to give the dish a fabulous umami flavor.
- Mushrooms: Sliced button mushrooms.
- Almond flour: Thickens the sauce.
- Sour cream: Adds creaminess and a subtle tang that balances out all the salty flavors.
- Keto noodles: Use your favorite packaged low-carb noodles.
- Start by slicing the beef into 1-inch strips and set aside. Add the butter to a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onion and saute for 1-2 minutes, until soft. Once soft, remove the vegetables from the pan.
- Next, add the beef into the same pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned. Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
- Now, add the almond flour into the pan then the cooked vegetables and mushrooms, and bring to a boil. Stir through the sour cream and heat until hot. Remove the pan off the heat and serve over low-carb noodles.
Slow cooker and crockpot options:
If you’d like to make this dish in a slow cooker or crockpot instead of a skillet, you can easily do so. Here is how you’ll do it.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan and add the beef, onions, and garlic and cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add the beef and vegetables to a crockpot or slow cooker, along with the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Remove the lid, stir through the almond flour (or xanthan gum) and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, stir through the sour cream and mix well.
Expert tips for success:
- Adding almond flour thickens the sauce, almost like a gravy. If you don’t want to use almond flour, you can use 1/2 a teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- Slice the sirloin across the grain, for more tender and soft pieces.
- Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce once the beef is no longer pink, not once it has cooked. The beef will continue cooking throughout the process.
Storing, freezing, and reheating:
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled beef stroganoff (NOT the pasta) in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: Microwave for 30-40 seconds until warm.
Other recipes you might like to try: Keto Vegetable Beef Stew, Mini Wrapped Meatloaf Bacon, Stroganoff Beef Paleo
Easy Keto Beef Stroganoff
- 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steak
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup almond flour*
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 serving keto pasta
- 1 serving keto mashed potatoes
- Slice the beef into 1-inch strips, cutting against the grain.
- In a non-stick pan or skillet, add the butter and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onions and cook until soft. Remove them from the pan.
- Add the sirloin and cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the cooked onion and garlic. Stir through the almond flour. Let everything simmer for 5 minutes, before stirring through the sour cream until combined and smooth.
- Remove the skillet off the heat and serve immediately with your favorite low carb pasta or mock potatoes.