This Easy Homemade Hummus recipe is delicious with warm pita bread or fresh vegetables. This creamy hummus is much cheaper and tastier than store-bought!
Homemade Hummus Recipe by Alex Overhiser
Ingredients For Easy Homemade Hummus:
This one is easy and flavorful, with just the right creamy texture. What is hummus made of? It’s got a simple list of ingredients:
- hickpeas (& aquafaba)
How to make hummus:
This easy homemade hummus takes just minutes to whip up. Here are the basic steps for making this hummus recipe:
- Drain: Drain the chickpeas into a liquid measuring cup, saving the aquafaba.
- Blend: Add peeled garlic to the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Then add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, kosher salt, and a few tablespoons of the aquafaba. Puree until it becomes a creamy consistency.
- Garnish: Top the hummus with cilantro leaves, a sprinkle of paprika, a drizzle of olive oil, and toasted pine nuts. Serve with veggies, pita bread, or crackers!
How does hummus taste? It’s creamy, rich, savory, and salty all at once, with a little tang from the lemon and a garlicky aftertaste.
Other recipes you might like to try: No-Bake Keto Cookies, Bagels Keto Recipe, Protein Gingerbread Cookies
Easy Homemade Hummus
For the hummus
For the garnish (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Olive oil
- Toasted pinenuts (see below)
- Peel the garlic. Drain the chickpeas into a liquid measuring cup. Juice the lemon.
- Add the garlic to the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, kosher salt, and 2 tablespoons water from the chickpea can (aquafaba). Puree for 30 seconds, then scrape down the bowl. Taste. If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons aquafaba. Puree for 1 to 2 minutes to come to a creamy consistency. Store refrigerated for 7 to 10 days.
- If desired, make the garnish: toast the pinenuts in a dry skillet for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown (or bake in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet for 6 to 8 minutes at 350F).
- Top the hummus with cilantro leaves, a sprinkle of paprika, a drizzle of olive oil, and toasted pinenuts. Serve with veggies, pita bread, or crackers.