This easy American pasta recipe is made up of ground beef and macaroni. A comfort food idea for a family weeknight dinner!
EASY AMERICAN CHOP SUEY Recipe by ALINA & Dmitry
This American pasta casserole is so delicious. This is a classic American dinner recipe that most people tried with slightly different recipes that come from one household to another. American chop suey is perfect to make for a big family dinner. Pasta with beef is easy to store, freeze and reheat all week long! This recipe serves up to 4-6 people, depending on the serving size.
Ingredients You Will Need:
The main ingredients are beef and elbow macaroni, followed by pantry staples like canned crushed tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, and spices.
To make it a bit leaner, used olive oil instead of butter. Also cooked the beef mince and discarded the extra fat. Love to get more flavors from spices and not from fat!
And also, it’s a sugar-free recipe, some recipes use sugar to sweeten the tomato sauce but here used a can of smashed Italian tomatoes that are a little sweeter than regular ones.
The spices are pretty simple that you may already have in your pantry – salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano.
You can also make this weeknight dinner with leftover pork chops or pork mince! You can make American chop suey gluten-free if you substitute regular macaroni with corn pasta or another gluten-free sub.
Instructions For Easy American Pasta recipe:
- Start by browning the beef in a hot pan with olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes until the beef is no longer pink. Set aside and clean the pan.
- Add olive oil to the large pan, and place on medium heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, and chopped green pepper. cook a few minutes until slightly golden and fragrant.
- Then add cooked beef and spices.
- Add a can of crushed canned tomatoes in juice and stir to combine. Simmer meat and tomato sauce for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot with salted water cook macaroni as instructed on the package. Drain the pasta and add it to the meat sauce.
- If you want, you can mix the pasta in the pot with the beef sauce, if your pan is not large enough.
- Stir everything together and enjoy this simple comfort food! Serve it with some chopped parsley on top.
Storing & Freezing:
You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week and reheat them in a microwave or on the pan.
Moreover, like other meat dishes, American chop suey freezes well. Cool completely, transfer to the air-tight container, and store for up to 3 months.
Easy American Pasta Recipe
- large pan or wok
- big pot
- spoons and spatulas
- 450 gram ground beef
- 1/2 onion small, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can Tomatoes crushed, canned
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp Oregano, ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 300-400 gram elbow macaroni 10-14
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- Brown the beef in a hot pan with a spoon olive oil. Cook, stirring for 5-6 minutes until beef is no longer pink. Set aside and clean the pan. 450 g ground beef,2 tbsp olive oil
- Add olive oil to the clean large pan or wok, placed on the medium heat. Add chopped onion. 1/2 onion
- Add chopped garlic. 2 garlic cloves
- Add chopped green bell pepper, stir together. Cook 2-3 minutes.1 green bell pepper
- Add cooked beef and seasoning. Stir together. 1/2 tsp thyme,1 tsp Oregano,1/4 tsp salt,1/2 tsp black pepper
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot with salted water to boil. Cook macaroni as instructed on package.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the meat sauce. Combine with a spoon and remove from heat.*
- Serve it with some chopped parsley on top. 300- 400 g elbow macaroni 10-14