This Deep Dish Pizza Keto recipe is simply awesome for us to just take it for granted! This recipe will put the pizza back on the table for those living a keto lifestyle. In fact, it tastes so good, the entire family will love it–whether they are in a diet or not. Serve this Deep Dish Pizza Keto recipe and wow everyone.
Oh-Sooo Cheesy Deep Dish Pizza Gluten- Free and Keto Recipe by Paola van der Hulst
This keto deep dish pizza is loaded with layered flavors, all wrapped up in a killer grain free crust. Plus, it just so happens to be a great way of upping your veggies-to-crust ratio. i.e. an excellent way to do pizza in January. And, while you can definitely turn this keto deep dish pizza into a regular flat one, we highly urge you to load up on various veggies (think zucchini or sautéed peppers and onions) for the filling, making each slice all the better. And very filling.
The Deep Dish Pizza Keto Dough
You might (or not!) be surprised to hear (again!) that we use Gnom-gnom’s grain-free tortilla dough here! Still, we did fix it up a bit to make it more dough-like, but kept it dairy free. Because as much as we love fat head dough, we’re not fortunate enough to be able to stomach that much cheese (and we prefer to use up our allowance in the toppings!).
Just keep in mind that you’ll want to give it a quick blind bake first, and get it nice and sturdy before you add in the fillings. It also puffs up a bit more this way. Double win.
We like a mixture of super fine almond flour and coconut flour best. Add a touch of xanthan gum, and baking powder. Optional (but highly recommended!) add-ins are: active dry yeast (works for flavor, not rise), dried basil and garlic powder.
No substituting flours here and the xanthan gum is absolutely necessary. And, if possible, weigh your ingredients for consistent results.
We layered this keto deep-dish pizza with a generous helping of mozzarella, followed by a marinara sauce (make sure it’s very thick), ribboned zucchini, caramelized onions, more marinara sauce, more mozzarella, and pepperoni. Boom!
Having said that, feel free to fill it up with whatever floats your boat. Think ground beef, chorizo, sautéed peppers… endless possibilities await!
Deep Dish Pizza Keto
- 1-2 keto marinara sauce to taste
- 1-2 mozzarella cheese to taste
- 1 medium zucchini ribboned in mandolin
- caramelized onions to taste
- pepperoni or salami to taste
FOR THE KETO DOUGH:
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, yeast, basil, garlic powder and salt to food processor. Pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Pour in apple cider vinegar with the food processor running. Once it has distributed evenly, pour in the egg. Followed by the water, adding just enough for it to come together into a ball. The dough will be sticky to touch from the xanthan gum, but still very sturdy.
- Wrap dough in cling film and knead it through the plastic for a minute or two. Think of it a bit like a stress ball. The dough should be smooth and not cracked, in which case get it back to the food processor and add in more water 1 teaspoon at a time. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature (and up to 5 days in the fridge).
FOR THE FILLING:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line the bottom of an 8-inch metal pie or cake pan with parchment paper, set aside. Or alternatively use an oven-safe skillet.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper with a rolling pin.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan. Rather than trimming the edges, we prefer to fold them inwards for a thicker edge. Blind bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the dough is fully set and it just begins to get some color.
- Remove blind baked pizza from the oven and add fillings of choice. We layered ours with a generous helping of mozzarella, followed by our marinara sauce, ribboned zucchini, caramelized onions, more marinara sauce, more mozzarella, and pepperoni.
- Return to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, covering the edges with aluminum foil if excessive browning occurs.
- Serve right away, garnished with fresh basil (optional)! Though do keep in mind that it does re-heat very well.
NUTRITION INFORMATION:YIELD: 8 slices
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 20mg
- Sodium 87mg
- Potassium 7mg
- Carbohydrates 4g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 3g
- Vitamin A 30IU
- Calcium 30mg
- Iron 0.7mg