This dish is definitely a Friday night or Saturday night dish as you know it’s one of those cheat day things, but you know it’s again very similar to sweet and sour and just slightly different flavors. The chicken sesame is a very easy-to-cook recipe. It requires only a few ingredients, all of which you can keep on hand indefinitely. Let’s begin cooking this recipe!
Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe by Dinner Then Dessert
There’s a number of recipes you’ll come across. Some are healthier versions without breading while some are stir-fries. This is the classic mall food Chinese takeout version. Because there are so many different versions let’s go over some of the other options. This version is the best one though, especially if you’re reliving your mall food court childhood.
Easy Sesame Chicken Recipes:
Baked Sesame Chicken: You can dredge the chicken in flour, egg, and finally in the panko. Spray the pieces of chicken with some canola oil spray and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Toss with sesame sauce then continue baking for an additional ten minutes.
Honey Sesame Chicken: Replace the brown sugar in the recipe with honey for a more pronounced honey sesame chicken recipe. Try to make Chinese Honey Chicken too without any of the sesame flavors.
Sesame Chicken Stir Fry: Don’t bread the chicken – just cook it in the skillet with a bit of sesame oil and canola oil. Add fresh garlic and vegetables (bell pepper, onion, and zucchini) to the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then pout the sauce in and cook until reduced (you may need to add a bit of cornstarch and water).
What to serve with Sesame Chicken?
We love to serve Chinese Steamed Rice, Lo Mein, steamed broccoli and easy recipes like Crab Rangoon and Egg Rolls for appetizers dipped in Sweet and Sour Sauce.
How Do You Make Sesame Sauce?
There are a couple of ways to make sesame sauce. This recipe includes soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and cornstarch whereas more in-depth recipes include dark soy sauce and Shaoxing rice wine.
How do you make this recipe? Quick and easy tempura fried chicken in bite-size pieces is tossed with an easy sauce made with rice wine and soy sauce sweet and spicy mixture. Garnish with sesame seeds or even green onions.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Is It Fried? Yes, in it’s traditional form it is dredged in batter and deep fried.
- Is It Sweet? Yes, with the addition of brown sugar it is slightly less sweet than orange chicken.
- Can you reheat? Once you serve the chicken the sauce starts soaking up in to the crispy chicken. Because of this reheating won’t result in crispy chicken, but it will still be tasty.
- White Meat Sesame Chicken: Use skinless chicken breasts in this Sesame Chicken in place of chicken thighs. There’s no other recipe adjustment, you will fry for one less minute.
Tools used in the making of this recipe:
Wok: The best way to cook quickly and over high heat for Asian dishes, this wok is the perfect stir fry pan.
Rice Vinegar: Readily available in almost all grocers these days, this is a great vinegar to keep on hand. It does have a hint of sweetness to it, so don’t replace it with any other vinegar except perhaps a red wine vinegar if you absolutely need to.
Sesame Oil: The flavor of sesame oil in this dish is unmistakable and not really able to be substituted. Some Asian grocery stores will try and sell less expensive options that aren’t actually sesame oil, so just be sure the one you’re buying is authentic sesame oil.
Other recipes you might like to try: Banana Oatmeal Pancakes Low Carb, Smoked Salmon Quiche Recipe Keto, Easy Keto Cheesecake Mug
Crispy Chicken Sesame Recipe
- Rice Vinegar
- Sesame Oil
Sesame Chicken Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup cold seltzer water
- 1 lb chicken thighs , boneless and skinless cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- To make the sauce mix all the ingredients together and to prepare the batter, add the ingredients together until just combined.
- Add the chicken pieces to the batter and coat while heating 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees and add the chicken to the oil in batches, frying until golden brown.
- Add in the sauce and the chicken and coat quickly and serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds.