This Chocolate Protein Ice Cream is dairy-free and packed with protein! Make it for dessert or a healthy and tasty treat.
Chocolate Protein Ice Cream Recipe by LEE FUNKE
Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
Did you know you can enjoy ice cream as a breakfast treat or even as a post-workout snack? This wears a lot of hats.
There are only 6 ingredients needed to blend up a batch of this chocolate ice cream before you’ll be enjoying a big spoonful of heaven. We love this because it is:
Made with frozen bananas.
Easy to prepare.
Ingredients You Need
This recipe is simple and you only need a few ingredients. Let’s break down everything you need to make this protein ice cream.
- Bananas– the base of this protein ice cream is frozen bananas! Frozen bananas are easy to freeze, become creamy when frozen and blended, and add natural sweetness.
- Cocoa powder– it wouldn’t be chocolate ice cream without chocolate. Used unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Chocolate protein powder – you make this chocolate protein ice cream extra chocolate-y by using chocolate protein powder. Feel free to use whey or plant based protein powder.
- Vanilla extract– a little extract adds delicious depth to ice cream.
- Unsweetened almond milk– you only need a little bit of almond milk to think out the ice cream when you blend everything together.
- Rainbow sprinkles– ice cream deserves a delicious topping. Chose rainbow sprinkles, but use whatever ice cream toppings you would like.
How to Make Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
- Place ingredients in a food processor- Immediately place frozen bananas into the food processor when you remove them from the freezer (the ice cream won’t work if the bananas aren’t frozen). Add the cocoa powder, protein powder, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Blend until smooth- Cover the food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides a couple of times.
- Add more almond milk- If the protein nice cream isn’t blending well, add another teaspoon or two to the food processor and blend until it turns into a soft serve consistency.
- Serve- Serve the protein ice cream as soft serve right away or freeze for later.
Chocolate Protein Ice Cream Tips & Tricks
CONSISTENCY IS KEY
The last thing you want is to end up with drippy ice cream. To avoid this you have to be sure to do a few things.
- Make sure your bananas are frozen up until you blend it in the food processor.
- Only add a little almond milk at a time to avoid a chocolate protein smoothie.
- If you do decide to freeze the chocolate protein ice cream be sure to cover the ice cream so there isn’t freezer burn.
CHOOSE YOUR TOPPINGS
Chose a simple and classic ice cream topping, SPRINKLES! You can use any of the ice cream toppings below, too.
- chocolate chips
- yogurt chips
- fresh berries
- coconut flakes
IS THIS ICE CREAM HEALTHY?
This is a healthy snack option that is packed with protein.
Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
- 2 cups frozen sliced bananas
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate protein powder (any kind)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 tbsp unsweetened almond milk*
- Rainbow sprinkles, for topping
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender or food processor and process on high until a smooth, thick consistency has been formed. Option to add more milk by the tablespoon as needed.
- Soft-serve: serve immediately.
- Ice cream: line a parchment-lined bread loaf. Then, place into the freezer for 1 to 2 hours to firm up. Use an ice cream scoop to serve.
- Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
- Add more almond milk as needed to thin out the protein ice cream.