Chicken Marsala with Herbs is an Italian restaurant favorite that is low in-calorie with mushrooms and tomatoes. This dish is both healthy and satisfying. A little bit of butter goes a long way in the sauce-just a touch adds creamy richness. This Chicken Marsala with Herbs takes less than an hour to prepare and cook, making it an excellent choice for a busy day dinner.
Chicken Marsala Recipe Recipe by Becky Hardin
This Chicken Marsala Recipe (so easy!) makes for a great weeknight meal but is also fancy enough to serve to company! Chicken breast and mushrooms are cooked in creamy marsala wine sauce with shallots and garlic for a flavorful dish that doesn’t require hours in the kitchen.
What is Marsala?
Marsala is a fortified wine that originates from Sicily. It’s often used in cooking and has a nutty and rich flavor – perfect to pair with mushrooms and chicken. This Chicken Recipe is so easy and fool-proof! We make it again and again and it never fails. Things are about to get a little fancy with this dish but don’t worry, it’s still really easy to make! This is so rich, flavorful, and creamy, it tastes like a real indulgent treat but is actually less than 400 calories.
How to Make Chicken Marsala
- Prep the chicken and dredge in flour mixture
- Brown chicken in a skillet on both sides.
- Cook the shallot, garlic, and mushrooms in butter.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and make the sauce.
- Simmer until reduced and fully cooked.
- Garnish and enjoy!
Can you make Chicken Marsala ahead of time?
This is one of the recipes that get more flavorful if you leave it, so absolutely this can be made ahead of time! Let the pan cool to room temperature and then cover it and pop it in the fridge and reheat on the stove top later in the day.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 – 3 days.
Other recipes you might like to try: Paleo Vegetarian Ratatouille Recipe, Warming Hummus Protein Soup Recipe, Keto Peri Peri Bowl Recipe
Chicken Marsala with Herbs
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup white all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 tbsp shallot finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 oz white mushrooms sliced
- ⅔ cup dry marsala wine
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- fresh chopped parsley
- Pat the chicken dry.
- In a shallow bowl mix together the flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture to coat.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, brown on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Set the chicken aside.
- Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet and allow it to melt.
- Add the shallot, sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms, sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Pour in the marsala and chicken broth.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Add the heavy cream.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve over plain white or brown rice.
- Calories 397.55
- Calories from Fat 197
- Fat 21.88g
- Saturated Fat 11.84g
- Cholesterol 158.21mg
- Sodium 403.96mg
- Potassium 537.42mg
- Carbohydrates 14.79g
- Fiber 0.86g
- Sugar 4.49g
- Protein 25.23g
- Vitamin A 595.74IU
- Vitamin C 4.4mg
- Calcium 29.15mg
- Iron 1.72mg