If you are in need of low-carb comfort food then you should try this Cheddar Chicken Broccoli! A one-pan, low-carb dinner that’s under 7 net carbs per serving.
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Recipe by Simply Delicious Food
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Chicken
- Cook the chicken: To ensure quick-cooking, We like to thin out the chicken breasts just slightly. Place the chicken on a cutting board, cover with a sheet of parchment paper and flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in a hot skillet or deep pan until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Make the Sauce: In the same pan, fry finely diced onion and garlic until fragrant. Add herbs of your choice. Add chicken stock, cream, lemon juice and season to taste. Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli. At this point, We cover the pan and allow the broccoli to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the stems can easily be pierced by a sharp knife. Reduce the heat and add the grated cheddar cheese. Allow the cheese to melt, stirring to make sure the cheese melts into the sauce evenly. Add the chicken back into the pan, spoon over the sauce and serve.
Storing And Freezing Instructions:
- Storing: The cooked chicken will last in the fridge for up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
- Freezing: Allow the cooked chicken to cool completely then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely then gently heat in a saucepan. Because of the cheese in the sauce, the sauce might split but the taste will still be good.
What To Serve With Broccoli Cheddar Chicken
- Parmesan garlic mashed potatoes
- Almond, lemon and parsley pilaf rice
- Easy crusty bread
Cheddar Chicken Broccoli Recipe
- 4 large chicken breasts (boneless + skinless)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
For the sauce
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy / whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or to taste)
- 3 cups broccoli florets larger florets, halved
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over chicken breasts then gently flatten to 1cm/0.4 inch thick, with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken in a large skillet or deep frying pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant then add the herbs. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the stock, cream and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli, cover and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the broccoli stems are just tender. Check by piercing them with a sharp knife.
- Reduce the heat, add the cheese and allow to melt while stirring. Add the chicken back into the pan, spoon over the sauce, season to taste and serve.
Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 941mg | Potassium: 784mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1179IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 284mg | Iron: 2mg