This Cauliflower Wings Vegan is crispy, sweet & spicy, and tossed in a creamy spicy mayo sauce! It’s pretty easy to make and tastes phenomenal.
Bang Bang Cauliflower (VEGAN) Recipe by JESSICA HYLTON
What are Cauliflower Wings Vegan?
These are essentially cauliflower wings in a bang-bang sauce. Surprise! Another cauliflower wings recipe! But bang bang is a special sauce made up of a Chili paste (or really any thick spicy sauce like sriracha), mayo, and a sweetener and it tastes so divine.
Can you make cauliflower wings in the air fryer?
Yes, you can make cauliflower wings in your air fryer!
Mentioned the bake time below and will also include a bake time for making this in the oven. They come out basically the same, it’s just a matter of preference.
How to make Cauliflower Wings Vegan:
First, you batter and bread the cauliflower similar to in cauliflower wings recipes. The difference here is the batter. It’s more of a tempura batter and comes out nice and light. It really adheres well to cauliflower.
Next, you toss the cauliflower in the sauce. Sometimes toss the sauce in it and eat It immediately. Or, if you normally need to find a show to watch while eating (which let’s be real, take a while sometimes), toss it in the sauce then stick it back in the air fryer or oven for another minute or two. The sauce really seeps in and the cauliflower stays extra crunchy.
Needless to say; these cauliflower bites are supreme. Like, top-notch foods. Highly recommend them, and love that they actually do taste great the next day too! Be sure to give it a try and happy eating friends!
Cauliflower Wings Vegan
Bang Bang Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sambal oelek or any other chili paste (including sriracha)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
Bang Bang Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour gluten-free or regular
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek or any chili paste
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or any nut milk + two teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup crispy Panko breadcrumbs seasoned with salt pepper, onion powder & garlic powder
BANG BANG SAUCE
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. It should be liquid-y. Set aside.
BANG BANG CAULIFLOWER
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F/230 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking sheet or greased foil. Using a knife, remove florets from the cauliflower (aka cut off the leaves and don't use the stems).
- In a bowl, mix the flour, chilli paste, cornstarch, nut milk, ACV, sea salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir to combine – the batter should be like a sticky tempura batter. If the batter is too thick, feel free to thin it out with some more milk and vice versa.
- In a separate bowl, place the panko breadcrumbs. Line it up beside the batter bowl. Toss the cauliflower in the batter mixture (you can add them all at once), using a spatula or spoon to coat them all.
- Then, transfer them to the panko breadcrumbs (you can do this in two or three batches) to coat completely, then place onto the baking sheet, giving each floret enough space.
- Bake for 22 minutes. Please ensure your oven is completely preheated and hot.
- Remove from oven. Toss the battered baked cauliflower in the sauce (like to use a spatula to move them around to get properly coated) then using tongs or a spoon, remove and place back on the baking sheet. Bake for another 1-2 minutes for the sauce to soak into the wings.
- Remove from oven, top with sesame seeds, eat immediately and enjoy!
AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS
- IF using an air fryer, preheat to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C.
- Repeat all the steps and then place in your air fryer in a single row, so that all the cauliflower has a little bit of space around each piece. Cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway, then continuing to cook. After you add the sauce, bake for another 1 to 2 minutes in the air fryer!