The tasty and yummy Caprese Grilled Cheese is loaded with basil pesto, a thick and chunky garlic butter tomato sauce, and fresh mozzarella cheese, all on grilled sourdough bread. The perfect delicious taste of summer.
Loaded Caprese Grilled Cheese Recipe by Tasty Recipes
You know those times you just get on a good run? It’s the opposite of a rut, so a rut is when you are bored with what you’re eating. You’re just eating to put food in your body. A run, though. A good run is when you legit *wow* yourself at every meal. It’s like the food of the season is speaking just to your taste buds – you see possibility everywhere and you just cannot stop yourself from loving every single thing.
A key component to this cheese bomb masterpiece is the garlic butter tomato sauce, which comes together in about fifteen minutes and really deserves its own post. Made variations of that before, but this time the addition of balsamic is kicking it up a notch. Also, this one is THICK. The way thicker than any previous versions, in a really good way. It is borderline tomato jam, except not sweet, and not really like jam. You guys know what this means, right?
These sandwiches are an epic summer cheat because they are not for the faint of heart. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.
Molten mozzarella cheese will absolutely spill out the sides of your grilled sourdough, but as will drips of pesto and chunky buttery garlic tomato sauce, and you will get a feeling in your heart that says: So made for this Caprese grilled cheese moment.
How To Make Caprese Grilled Cheese
Caprese Grilled Loaded Cheese
For the Caprese Grilled Cheese:
- 4 large slices of thick, yummy sourdough bread
- 4 thick slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pesto (see notes)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Garlic Butter Tomato Sauce (ingredients follow)
For the Garlic Butter Tomato Sauce:
- 10 ounces fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
Make the Garlic Butter Tomato Sauce
- Pour the tomatoes into a dry nonstick skillet. Heat until they start to get just slightly charred on the outside. Reduce heat and add one tablespoons of butter and give it a stir (it will probably splatter). Press the tomatoes gently with the back of a wooden spoon to release their juices. Add balsamic, garlic, and one more tablespoon butter. Simmer all together until thick and yummy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the pesto, cheese, and tomato sauce onto a slice of bread. Top with a slice of bread, spread with butter on the outside of the bread. (Repeat for second sandwich.)
- Transfer your sandwich to a skillet over medium high heat. Cook until the cheese is melted, flipping once or twice to get both sides browned. When you pull that sandwich off the skillet, just tell you: you are in for THE BEST MOMENT OF YOUR LIFE.