This Broccoli Cheese Soup is a creamy and velvety soup made in 30 minutes. It is low-carb but full of flavor and better than Panera bread! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP Recipe by ARMAN LIEW
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This keto broccoli cheese soup recipe comes together in under 20 minutes and is all made on the stovetop. It’s made with just 5 main ingredients (spices don’t count!) and is perfectly thick and creamy. It’s full of tender broccoli pieces and full of cheesy flavor, and is the kind of soup that sticks to your ribs!
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Butter– Unsalted butter to sautee the onions and garlic in.
- Onion and garlic– Both these vegetables add extra flavor to the soup.
- Chicken broth– Also known as chicken stock. You can use a homemade chicken broth or store bought. Used organic chicken stock as it has no additives or added sugar.
- Heavy cream– Gives the soup an extra rich and creamy texture, without affecting the flavor.
- Broccoli– Finely chopped broccoli. Avoid using frozen broccoli as it will yield a much more thinner soup.
- Smoked paprika– Adds some smokey flavor which works very well with the cheese.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Cheddar cheese– A flavorful and easy melting cheese. You can swap out half of it with red Leicester or vintage cheddar if you’d like a more intense cheese flavor. Try to shred your own cheese, as it is cheaper to do and melts into the soup seamlessly.
How do you make broccoli cheese soup?
Start by adding the butter into a deep saucepan and placing it over medium heat. Once melted, add the onions and garlic and saute for several minutes, until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, heavy cream, broccoli, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
Now, once the soup starts boiling, reduce it to a low and let it simmer for 20 minutes. After this time, add the cheese, half a cup at a time, until fully immersed in the soup. Remove it from the heat and serve immediately.
Pro tips to make the best broccoli cheddar soup:
- Be sure to chop your broccoli into fine, bite-sized pieces. This will ensure they cook evenly and are that there are no large florets throughout.
- To prevent a grainy soup, be sure to slowly add the cheese into the saucepan, not all at the same time.
- For a creamier soup, shred your own cheese. It will mix into the soup so much easier and taste that much better!
How many carbs are in broccoli cheddar soup?
This low-carb broccoli cheese soup has just 2 grams of net carbs per serving. Compare that to Panera bread’s version that has over 40 grams of carbs per serving!
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips:
- To store: Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Be sure to give it a stir before reheating.g
- To freeze: Place batches of the soup in a sealable container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw the soup at room temperature before reheating.
- Reheating: Either microwave the soup in 30-second intervals or in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups broccoli finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- In a deep pot, add the butter and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth and heavy cream and finely chopped broccoli, smoked paprika, pepper, and salt and bring it to a boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Add the cheddar cheese in half a cup at a time until combined. Remove from the heat and serve with extra shredded cheese and chopped parsley on top.