These Biscotti Gluten Free have a perfect crispy and crunchy texture. The delicious biscotti are made with simple ingredients and no one will know it’s made without gluten!
GLUTEN FREE BISCOTTI Recipe by ARMAN LIEW
This gluten-free biscotti recipe looks and tastes like any good biscotti out there, swapping out the traditional white flour for a gluten-free blend. It’s perfectly crispy and crunchy, and pleasantly sweet, without being overpowering. It’s so easy to make and you can add your favorite nuts and dried fruits to them.
Gluten-free desserts and cookies have a poor reputation for having odd textures but this recipe proves otherwise- We served these at a recent afternoon tea and no one knew we made it without gluten!
How do you make gluten free biscotti?
- Gluten free flour– Use a gluten free flour blend that contains added xanthan gum. Recommend Bob’s gluten free baking flour.
- Baking powder– Leavening agent used to give the biscotti some stability and rise.
- Salt– Just a pinch to balance out the sweet flavors.
- Olive oil– Light olive oil.
- White and brown sugar– A combination of both sugars helps give the biscotti the crisp edges while the middle is nice and crumbly.
- Vanilla and almond extract– Ensures every bite has a subtle vanilla and almond flavor.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs.
- Cranberries– Unsweetened dried cranberries.
- Pistachios and almonds– Unsalted and raw pistachios and almonds. You can use just one of each type.
Start by whisking together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil and sugars. Add the extracts, then the eggs. Slowly add the dry ingredients and slowly mix everything together. Fold through the cranberries, pistachios, and almonds at the end.
Now, divide the dough into two logs, and place them on a lined baking sheet. Bake the two logs for 30-35 minutes, until they are light brown on the outside. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for ten minutes.
Finally, reduce the oven heat. Using a sharp knife, slice the logs into pieces of biscotti. Place them back onto the baking tray and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until they are crispy.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use a very sharp knife when slicing the biscotti, as the dough will be quite fragile.
- For ultra crispy biscotti, use all white sugar, not a mix of white and brown.
- Switch out the cranberries for raisins or other dried fruits.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Biscotti will keep at room temperature, covered, for up to 4 weeks.
- To freeze: Place biscotti in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Biscotti Gluten Free
- 1 3/4 cup Gluten free flour * See notes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pistachios shelled
- 1/2 cup almonds
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix well. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, white sugar, and brown sugar. Mix in the extracts, then beat in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and slowly mix everything together. Fold through the cranberries, pistachios, and almonds.
- Divide the dough in half and form two logs, around two inches in thickness, and place them on the lined baking tray.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until logs are lightly brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat for 275F. Slice the logs into pieces of biscotti. Place them back on the lined baking tray and bake for 8 minutes, until dry.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely.