This beef stew is low carb and particularly made for keto diet. Beef Stew Low Carb Keto are the perfect main dish that you can share to your family or friends. This recipe is also a great comfort and recovery food that will make you feel warm and full. This low carb beef stew is so rich of nutrients and has the same taste of classic flavors you love from traditional stew. See Recipe Box Summary below!
Keto Beef Stew Recipe and Content Tips by Karly Campbell
How to Make Low Carb Keto Beef Stew?
- You’ll need beef for beef stew and I personally prefer to start with a chuck roast instead of the already chunked up packs of ‘beef stew meat.’
- Sear up the beef, working in batches if necessary. To make it gorgeous browned beef.
- Use a heavy-bottomed dutch oven for this. Or something that you can fit this ingredients and your oven.
- Glaze the pot with a bit of beef broth and vinegar. You could also use dry red wine in place of that bit of broth, if you wanted. De-glazing just means adding liquid to the hot pan and scraping up the browned bits on the bottom. Those browned bits equal more flavors.
- Add your beef, beef broth, tomato paste, and seasoning back to the pot and let it simmer away until the beef is nice and tender.
- Drop and stir in your turnips, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and salt.
Thickening low carb stew:
- You can xanthan gum to thicken the stew. Xanthan gum sounds a little weird, but it’s a totally natural product that’s added to more foods than you realize. You probably already eat it, you just likely don’t cook with it at home unless you’re well versed in this low carb life.
- Remove 1/2 cup of liquid from your stew and sprinkle just a 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum over the top and then immediately whisk it all together. A little goes a really long way with xanthan gum!
- Pour that mixture back into the stew and continue cooking for about 45 minutes.
- The vegetables will be tender, the stew will have this glorious richness to it, and you’ll basically never want to go a week without this keto beef stew again.
Beef Stew Low Carb Keto
- 1 ½ pound chuck roast , cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil , more as needed
- 3 teaspoons Salt , divided
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth , divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 pound turnips , cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 medium carrots, , cut into coins
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 celery stalk , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley , minced
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering.
- Sprinkle the beef with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the beef to the pot in a single layer (you’ll likely need to work in batches) and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Add additional oil as needed between batches. Remove all beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Add ½ cup beef broth and vinegar to the dutch oven and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef back to the skillet along with the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook over low heat for 1 ½ hours or until beef is tender.
- Add the turnips, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Stir to combine.
- Remove ½ cup of liquid from the pot to a small bowl or measuring cup. Sprinkle with the xanthan gum and whisk well to incorporate. Return mixture to the pot and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1
- Calories 341
- Total Fat 20g
- Saturated Fat 8g
- Trans Fat 1g
- Unsaturated Fat 11g
- Cholesterol 94mg
- Sodium 1872mg
- Carbohydrates 9g
- Net Carbohydrates 6g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 31g