If you have never tried putting pieces of kale in the oven to make kale chips, then this is going to be your new favorite recipe. This Baked Keto Kale Chips recipe is unbelievably easy, with a basic version. Salt and vinegar kale chips, and 5 other seasoning flavors. The texture of this Baked Keto Kale Chips recipe is light and airy, with a distinct crunch.
Homemade Baked Kale Chips Recipe by Wholesome Yum
This is a naturally keto kale chips recipe, but there’s nothing “specifically keto” about it compared to any other kale chips. It’s easy, it’s delicious, and uses simple ingredients. The only one you might not have on hand is nutritional yeast, which you can get here – but you can skip it if you like.
How to Make Baked Keto Kale Chips
We’ll show you how to make kale chips in the oven, step by step!
TIP: Basic kale chips just need oil and salt, but we prefer these salt and vinegar kale chips for a bit more flavor. If that’s not your thing, feel free to follow the same method with only oil and salt. Or check out my other seasoning ideas further down in this post.
- Prepare kale. Cut kale into pieces and remove stems.
TIP: The stems are very bitter and tough, so it’s worth spending a few minutes to remove the stems! You might be tempted to buy kale pieces in a bag, but they are typically small pieces with tons of stems! We recommend prepping the kale yourself.
- Massage kale. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil and white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar if you like). Add the kale pieces and massage the oil and vinegar mixture into the kale.
TIP: Massaging the remaining leaves with oil and vinegar helps to soften the exterior cell walls, stripping away the bitterness. Believe it or not, this process leaves the kale leaves with a more delicate taste and even a little sweetness.
To massage the kale, toss with the oil and vinegar, then pick up handfuls, squeeze, release, and repeat. It’s enough once you see the kale start to soften.
Psst… this is the secret to less bitter kale chips!
- Add nutritional yeast. Stir in nutritional yeast and sea salt. Mix to disperse evenly and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining nutritional yeast on top.
- Bake. Bake the chips, rotating the pans halfway through, until crispy.
Baked Keto Kale Chips
- 5 oz Kale (cut into pieces, stems removed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (divided)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (149 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and white vinegar. Add the kale pieces and massage the oil and vinegar mixture into the kale.
- Stir in 2/3 of the nutritional yeast and all of the sea salt. Mix to disperse evenly. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheets. Sprinkle remaining nutritional yeast on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until crispy.
- Plain kale chips – Olive oil, salt
- Salt & vinegar – Olive oil, vinegar, nutritional yeast (optional), salt
- Garlic parmesan – Olive oil, garlic powder, grated parmesan
- Cajun – Olive oil, cajun seasoning mix
- Sriracha lime – Olive oil, lime juice, sriracha, salt
- Everything bagel – Olive oil, everything seasoning
- Ranch – Olive oil, seasoning
- Calories 70.1
- Fat 4.1g
- Protein 4.3g
- Total Carbs 5.4g
- Net Carbs 4g
- Fiber 1.4g
- Sugar 0.1g