Are You Drinking Enough Water?
With 60% of our body composed of water, we can lose an average of 64 ounces of water daily. Unless you are doing exercises, you may hardly notice this perspiration. However, sweating helps the body to regulate its temperature, and it’s hard to keep up if our body’s water supply decreases. Therefore, it is vital for you to drink enough water to maintain hydration.
How much water should you drink every day?
You can base your water consumption on your age, gender, weight, level of activity and the weather conditions around you. Generally, women should drink an average of 11 cups (90 ounces) of water each day, and 16 cups (125 ounces) for men.
One simple way to determine the exact amount of your daily water intake is by multiplying your weight by ⅔, then putting your level of activity into consideration. Add about 12 ounces to make up for every half hour of exercise.
What are the benefits of drinking water?
We have listed these benefits, some of which are usually overlooked or underestimated, to encourage you to drink enough water regularly:
- Provides energy and increases your brain power: Whenever you feel that your mental performance diminishes, skip your cup of coffee and opt for water instead. Since the brain consists of 73% water, drinking water enables you to think, concentrate, focus and remain alert.
- Promotes weight loss and management of healthy weight: Not only does your brain feel the positive effects of being hydrated, but water also assists in removing fat products in your body, giving the feeling of being full.
- Boosts your immune system: Adequate water intake results in a strong immune system. Water transports oxygen to cells of the body, aiding systems to function correctly. It can even reduce the risk of cancer in your bladder by removing toxins in it.
- Prevents you from having bad breath: A visible sign of insufficient water is bad breath. To prevent this, drink enough amount of water to wash away particles of leftover food and oral bacteria which leads to bad breath.
- Flushes out toxins from the body: You may have heard the phrase, “sweat it out.” Consumption of water helps flush out accumulated waste through urination and debris from your body. It also prevents the dangers of kidney stones and infections in your urinary tract.
- Improves your mood: Your body works better when it’s well hydrated, just the way a properly-oiled engine operates at a high performance. As long as your internal organs and systems are running well, you are most likely to be in a great mood and feel good about yourself.
- Maintains the regularity of your body: Drinking enough water helps the body digest whatever you eat. When food is broken down by water, the body can easily absorb nutrients, thus preventing constipation.
- Prevents you from having headaches: Medical News Today affirms that dehydration headaches occur when the body loses essential fluids to operate correctly. Dehydration makes the brain shrink temporarily and detaches itself from the skull which leads to pain and headache.
- Prevents you from getting sprains and cramps: Water plays the role of naturally lubricating your joints and muscles. Develop a habit of healthy hydration, and more flexibility will be attainable. You will less likely experience sprains or sore after a workout.
- Prevents you from having backaches: Discs support the bones of our vertebrae, and each disc has a central nucleus which constitutes water. Insufficient supply of water may compromise the discs, resulting in back pain.
What you should do in a case of severe dehydration
If you experience any symptom of critical dehydration which includes fever, excessive thirst, fast breathing, rapid heartbeat, contact your doctor immediately. If you have difficulty in urinating, or you notice that your urine has a concentrated dark color or strong odor, never hesitate to seek medical help.
We are here to help you through your journey of losing weight, gaining muscles, improving balance and increasing your energy. Whatever your objective is, our experienced personal trainers are available to assist you. We will ensure that you remain on track with your routine, testing your body composition, guiding your nutrition and securing your general wellness.