People always believe that it’s difficult to keep eating healthy during the cookout season. One easy solution is to make a healthy dish or two to bring to parties and celebrations so you can ensure at least a few healthy options. American Flag Fruit Pizza is just the perfect go to recipe for this. It goes over so well that even friends and family who aren’t eating healthy, rave about it.
American Flag Fruit Cookie Dessert Pizza Recipe by Toni Dash
4th of July dessert is the highlight of the holiday especially this American Flag Fruit Pizza. Irresistible in red, white, and blue (and easy to make). Holidays are the perfect time to ‘wow’ with a fun recipe. This dessert pizza is a perfect 4th of July dessert! It’s easy to make. With a timesaving shortcut, you won’t be slaving in the kitchen either! Sugar cookie crust, an irresistibly good sweet-tangy topping, and fresh berries making an American Flag.
WHAT IS A DESSERT PIZZA?
Using the main components or regular savory pizza, a dessert pizza has a crust, ‘sauce’ layer, and toppings. The pizza ‘dough’ is a chewy cookie crust that’s moist, supple, and easy to cut. The frosting (or ‘sauce’) is a mixture of cream cheese, whipped topping, and a small amount of confectioner’s sugar, making a balance sweet topping to hold the fruit without being too sweet. Fresh blueberries and strawberries finish off as toppings creating an American flag pattern. Topping with ripe fruit not only gives the flag a life but brings a natural sweetness to the dessert all will love.
American Flag Fruit Pizza
- 1 box favorite Sugar Cookie mix Pamela’s Products gluten-free
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 8 ounce package of Cream Cheese softened
- 1 10 ounce container Whipped Topping Truwhip
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 48 blueberries rinsed and completely dry
- 17 Strawberries rinsed and completely dry
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet or jelly roll pan (10 inches by 15 inches) with parchment paper allowing the paper to overhang by a few inches on both of the long sides of the pan (this allows lifting the pizza out of the pan).
- Prepare the sugar cookie mix as directed on the package and add the lemon zest. Spoon into the prepared pan and press to fully cover the pan using a mixing spoon and fingers. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden (8-10 minutes). Note: every mix and oven is different so watch while baking and do not over bake. I removed mine at 11 minutes and it was not a true golden color but was cooked. Set on a cooling rack until it has fully cooled.
- While the cookie is cooling, cut the strawberries. Cut into vertical slices about 1/8 inch thick. Cutaway any green from the top. Using similar size strawberries will allow more uniform sizes of stripes. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Once the pizza ‘crust’ is cool, add the softened cream cheese into a mixer bowl and beat at high speed until fully creamed. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium to incorporate, raising the speed to high to beat into a creamy frosting. Note: it may appear lumpy during the beating process but continue until it becomes creamy.
- Spread the frosting evenly to cover the entire cookie. If needed the cookie can be lifted from the pan by the parchment paper to do this step.
- Place the blueberries in the top left corner. I made 6 rows of 8 blueberries (not correct for the number of stars on the actual flag but looked uniform), placing them close together but leaving space for the white to show through.
- Before adding the strawberries to the pizza I dabbed them with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. To make the red stripes begin at the very top to the right of the blueberries laying the strawberries in a row, end to end, with all the slices going the same direction (e.g. tops to the right or to the left, just all facing the same direction). Leave about an inch of exposure white topping between each row of strawberries. Doing a bit of planning with a ruler will help make equally spaced rows or just do it freehand!
- Once the flag is assembled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving (especially on a hot day!). Cut into serving pieces with a sharp kitchen knife or pizza cutter.